These Big Rice Krispie Treats are larger and thicker than regular treats. Made with our award-winning recipe, these treats are perfect snacks but would also make fabulous bake sale items or gifts.
These jumbo Rice Krispie treats are the most popular item sold in our local gourmet grocery shop’s bakery and my friend buys them all the time.
So, for her birthday I decided to make her some extra-large homemade Rice Krispie Treats to give her as a gift. I packaged each treat in a cellophane gift bag and tied them with a ribbon.
Being I used our award-winning Best Rice Krispie Treat recipe to make them, she said they were even better than the treats she buys from the bakery.
These treats are perfectly chewy. The cereal stays crispy but the treats are soft to bite into. That’s because we use the perfect ratio of ingredients and we use a few tricks to ensure our treats aren’t hard.
The trick to getting perfectly chewy treats is to start with fresh marshmallows and melt them with butter just until 75% of them are melted.
If you remove the pan from the heat and stir the partially melted marshmallows until they completely melt, you won’t overheat them which causes crystallization and makes for hard treats.
Make perfect marshmallow crispy treats.
Another trick to make marshmallow cereal treats that are soft and chewy with crispy bits of cereal is to pour the melted marshmallows over the cereal instead of pouring the cereal into the hot pan.
If you add cereal to a hot pan, the cereal will soften making your treats immediately taste stale.
You also want to gently press the cereal treat mixture into the pan. Do not press down too firmly otherwise, your treats will be hard.
You definitely want these extra-large Rice Krispie treats to be soft enough to bite into. They are almost twice as thick as regular treats and much bigger as well.
The recipe uses two 10-ounce bags of marshmallows instead of a single 16-ounce bag and more butter and cereal than we typically use for a 9×13-inch pan of treats.
If you cut your pan of treats into 8 large rectangles, you’ll get nice jumbo-sized treats.
Big Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 9×13-inch baking pan
- 1 large saucepan
- 9 1/3 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 8 tablespoons salted butter (preferable European-style butter)
- 20 ounces marshmallows
- Grease the mixing bowl and 9×13-inch pan with butter or baking spray.
- Pour the cereal into the mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and place them in a large saucepan.
- Set the pan over LOW heat and begin to melt the butter.
- Add the marshmallows to the pan and allow the marshmallows to slowly melt.
- Stir the butter and marshmallows occasionally until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted, then remove the pan from the heat and stir until completely melted. Do not overheat the marshmallows or your treats will be hard.
- Pour over the cereal and mix until well combined.
- Spread the cereal treat mixture into an even layer in the greased pan. Do not compact the cereal too much or your treats will be too hard.
- Let the treats cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before cutting them into 8 large rectangles.