Perfectly chewy Cocoa Pebbles Treats have a wonderful combination of chocolate and sweet marshmallows. They are easy to make using the stove or microwave.
If you are a fan of Cocoa Pebbles Cereal this is a must-try recipe.
It's so easy to make these cereal treats just by swapping out the chocolate-flavored crisp rice cereal for the standard Rice Krispies Cereal in our BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
We have already found, by doing extensive taste testing, the perfect combination of butter, marshmallows, and cereal, so each batch of cereal treats you make will come out great every time.
Being Cocoa Pebbles are a bit denser than traditional crisp rice cereal, we have adjusted the amount of cereal in our award-winning recipe to account for this.
If you like Fruity Pebbles, be sure to check out our Fruit Pebbles Treats recipe.
Love chocolate? You can add ½ cup of chocolate chips to this recipe to make these treats even more chocolatey!
Let's make Cocoa Pebbles Treats!
You'll only need three ingredients to make these treats
- Cocoa Pebbles Cereal
- Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows (either mini or regular)*
- We found that Jet-Puffed Marshmallows work the best in our cereal treat recipes. Some store-brand marshmallows are far too sticky making the treats difficult to stir and overly gooey. If you use store-brand marshmallows, toss in a bit of extra cereal.
- salted butter
- In our taste test, tasters preferred the flavor of European-style salted butter. This butter has more butterfat (flavor) than American-style butter and it will seriously enhance the flavor of your cereal treats.
Fruity Pebbles Cereal Treats Video
Use the same technique shown in this Fruity Pebbles video to make a batch of Cocoa Pebbles Treats.
More Cereal Treats Recipes
Cocoa Pebbles Treats
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 8-inch square baking pan (for a small batch)
- 1 9x13-inch rectangle baking pan (for a large batch)
Small Batch (8-inch pan)
- 5 cups Cocoa Pebbles Cereal
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
Large Batch (9x13-inch pan)
- 7 ¾ cups Cocoa Pebbles Cereal
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounces marshmallows
- Grease a large mixing bowl and an 8-inch square pan (for a small batch) or a 9x13-inch rectangle pan (for a large batch) with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the cereal into the greased bowl and set aside.
- Begin melting the butter in a medium-large sauce-pan set over low heat.
- Stir in the marshmallows.
- Allow to melt, stirring occasionally, until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir, smashing the marshmallows with your rubber spatula or spoon, until melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted marshmallows over the cereal and stir until well combined.
- Gently spread into a well-buttered pan.
- Allow the cereal treats to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares or rectangles.
- If you prefer to use the microwave, heat the butter and marshmallows on high power for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir vigorously, smashing the marshmallows, until melted.
- If needed, heat for additional 15-second bursts of high power until melted.
- Then, follow the process above.
- Store your Cocoa Pebbles Treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Do NOT refrigerate.
- You can freeze your treats. Wrap them well and freeze for up to 3 months.
More CHOCOLATE flavor!
- Add ½ cup of chocolate chips with the marshmallows. It will melt into a decadently rich chocolate marshmallow goo which you can mix with your cereal. YUM!
Pro Tips:See our How to Make Rice Krispie Treats FAQ page for more tips and tricks for making perfect cereal treats.
Do not overheat your marshmallows.
- If you rush the process of melting the marshmallows by cranking up your heat, you will overheat the sugar in the marshmallows, turning that sugar into hard candy, and your treats will be hard.
- Heat the marshmallows and butter on low heat! It takes some time for them to melt, but your patience will be rewarded as you will have ooey, gooey, chewy treats.
DO NOT use the number of cups listed on the side of the box as a guide.
- An 11-ounce box says it contains about 9 cups of cereal. I measured just under 7 cups! If you make a large batch of these treats, be sure to get a family-size box.
Do not smash the cereal into the pan.
- Gently spread it into the pan. This will make light, easy-to-bite-into treats.
Use FRESH marshmallows.
- The fresher your marshmallows, the softer your Fruity Pebbles treats will be.
- Grease your saucepans, bowls, spatulas, and even your hands with either butter (my preference) or non-stick cooking spray to keep the marshmallows from sticking.
Please leave a comment.