Toasted coconut Rice Krispie Treats are full of flavor and so easy to make.
coconut Rice Krispie Treats
Combine beautiful toasted coconut with our BEST ever recipe for Rice Krispie Treats to create these delicious, aromatic coconut Rice Krispie Treats.
For even more coconut flavor, try adding the toasted coconut to Rice Krispie Treats made with coconut oil.
more cereal treats you'll love
how to make coconut rice krispie treats
You will need these ingredients:
RICE KRISPIES -- We use the classic Kellogg's brand Rice Krispies cereal.
MARSHMALLOWS -- Our cereal treats use 10 ounces of marshmallows. This is about 40 regular size OR 6 cups of mini. However, different brands of marshmallows have different weights and densities.
Check out our marshmallow conversion chart to make sure you're using the correct amount.
Kraft's Jet-Puffed are used here.
BUTTER -- We recommend using European-style, SALTED butter for best results. You'll need 4 tablespoons. Read more about our taste test and why this butter is better HERE.
SWEETENED COCONUT FLAKES -- For a delicious, nutty flavor, toast the coconut before making these treats. (Instructions below).
Equipment you'll need:
BAKING PAN -- I prefer to make my batches of treats in an 8 x 8 inch square pan. A 9-inch square pan also works well. (Read on for instructions to make a large batch in a 9 x 13 inch pan.)
COOKING SPRAY -- To make life easy, I use non-stick spray on my bowls and spatulas. I suggest a canola oil to minimize interfering in the taste.
NONSTICK FOIL -- You may also grease your baking pan with cooking spray, but I find the best option is to line your baking pan with non-stick foil. Lightly greased foil or parchment paper also works well.
How to toast coconut
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Sprinkle the coconut evenly on the baking tray.
Place in the center of the oven and cook for 4 minutes. Gently stir the coconut.
Return to the oven for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the coconut is golden brown.
Do not leave the oven and periodically check for doneness. The coconut can brown quickly.
What do you use toasted coconut for?
If you love the taste of toasted coconut, make a bigger batch and use the extra to sprinkle on:
- Ice cream
- Waffles and pancakes
- Bread with nut butter
- Snack mix
How do I make coconut cereal treats in the microwave?
Grease a large bowl and add the cereal. Mix in 1 cup of toasted coconut.
Line your baking dish with non-stick foil and set aside.
In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place the marshmallows and butter, cut in pieces.
Microwave for 1 minute.
Stir well, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows. If needed, microwave another 15 seconds, but you do NOT want to overheat the mixture.
Use a spatula to scrape the mixture over the cereal and coconut.
It's best to add the hot mixture to the bowl of cool cereal rather than the reverse, so the cereal stays crispier.
Combine gently but thoroughly.
Transfer to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
Press down lightly with a spatula. You do not want to smush the mixture too tightly.
Sprinkle the remaining coconut on top.
Let set at least two hours before cutting into squares.
How do I make cereal treats on the stove-top?
You can also melt the marshmallows and butter on the stove-top.
Begin to melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
Stir in the marshmallows, stirring often, until about 75% have melted.
Remove from the heat and continue to stir until the marshmallows are fully melted.
How do I store my treats?
Store in an air-tight container up to a week.
coconut Rice Krispie Treats
- 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan
- non-stick foil (or lightly greased foil)
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups TOASTED sweetened coconut flakes
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular or 6 cups mini)
- 4 tablespoons salted, European-style butter
- Grease a large bowl and add the cereal. Mix in 1 cup of the toasted coconut.
- Line your baking dish with non-stick foil.
- Place the marshmallows and butter, cut into pieces, in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Let sit for a couple minutes and stir very well. Stir well, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows. If needed, microwave another 15 seconds, but you do NOT want to overheat the mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal and coconut. Combine gently but thoroughly.
- Transfer to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly, pressing gently with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Press the coconut into the top of the cereal treats.
- Let set at least 2 hours. You may also chill to set more quickly.
- Cut into 16 squares. Store in an air-tight container up to a week.