Enjoy the flavor of chocolate chips cookies in a gooey marshmallow cereal treat.
These crunchy Cookie Crisp Treats speckled with mini chocolate chips make a fun kid-friendly afternoon snack and they are quick and easy to make using just four ingredients.
If you love chocolate chips cookies, you will definitely enjoy this Cookie Crisp Cereal treat recipe.
It combines tiny cookie-shapes cereal, marshmallows, butter, and mini chocolate chips to create a crispy and chewy treat.
Oh, and it's super easy to make in about 15 minutes if you use the stovetop and in less than 10 minutes if you use the microwave.
To make these treats we started with our BEST rice krispie treat recipe. Our original recipe calls for a ratio of 4 ⅔ cups of cereal to 10 ounces of marshmallows.
We had to add 7 cups of the Cookie Crisp Cereal because the pieces are much larger than the tiny puffs of Rice Krispies Cereal.
The treats are still nice and chewy but they aren't overly sticky.
We always suggest you use European-style salted butter to give your treats the best flavor.
Have questions about making cereal treats? Check out our FAQ page. (Or leave a comment and we'll be happy to help!)
You can see more recipe ideas for using a variety of cereal to make Cereal Treat Recipes, here.
how to make Cookie Crisp Cereal Bars
you will need:
COOKIE CRISP CEREAL
- Each round whole grain corn puff is speckled with tiny chocolate "chips" and looks and tastes like a mini chocolate chip cookie.
- You'll need 10 ounces of marshmallows.
- Always use the freshest marshmallows you have on hand. Fresh marshmallows make more delicately chewy treats.
- While different brands of marshmallows weigh slightly differently, you can usually use 40 regular-size OR 6 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Use a scale or the measurement on the bag as a guide.
- We have found that salted European-style salted butter provides the best flavor in our cereal treats recipes. You'll be amazed at the difference good butter will make in this recipe.
- We recommend using KeriGold or President Butter. Kroger Private Selection French-style Butter is great too.
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED:
- 9-inch or 8-inch square baking pan
- large mixing bowl
- silicone spatula or large mixing spoon
- butter or cooking spray to grease your pan, bowl, and spatula (I prefer the flavor of butter, but the non-stick spray works too.)
buy ingredients & supplies
You can find the ingredients and supplies to make these Cookie Crisp marshmallow cereal treats from Amazon. I earn a small commission for any sales when you use the links below at NO extra cost to you.
Let's make some Cookie Crisp Cereal Bars...
step one: prep your equipment
- Grease a large mixing bowl, your square 8-inch or 9-inch pan, and a silicone spatula with softened butter or spray with baking spray.
- Pour 7 cups of Cookie Crisp Cereal into the bowl.
step two: melt the butter and marshmallows
- Cut 4 tablespoons of European-style salted butter into 4 pieces.
- Place in a medium saucepan and set over low heat.
- Using low heat is important. It will allow your marshmallows to melt slowly and not overheat.
- If you overheat your marshmallows, the sugars in the marshmallows will begin to caramelize so when you blend them with the cereal they will produce hard treats instead of chewy treats.
- Allow the butter to begin melting, then stir in 10 ounces of marshmallows.
- I prefer using mini marshmallows as they melt quickly but you can use traditional large marshmallows as well.
- Just be sure to stir them often, so they don't overheat.
- Continue to heat over low heat, stirring often, until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and stir the marshmallows vigorously, smashing them as needed, until melted.
- By taking the pan off the stove at this point, you will ensure your marshmallows don't overheat and stay nice and soft.
- It may take a minute of stirring before all the marshmallows melt. Just keep stirring and smashing. You'll thank me when you have delicately chewy treats that are easy to eat.
alternate microwave method:
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 4 tablespoons of salted butter and 10 ounces of marshmallows.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute then remove and stir vigorously, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows.
- Once again, you don't want to overheat the marshmallows as this causes your cereal treats to be too hard.
- You need to use a large mixing bowl when melting the marshmallows in the microwave as the marshmallows will puff up a lot.
- If needed, you may microwave for additional 15-second intervals, stirring vigorously until melted.
step three: mix everything together
- Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the Cookie Crisp Cereal in the bowl.
- Stir gently until all of the cereal is coated evenly.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
step four: add chocolate chips
- Sprinkle about ½ cup of mini chocolate chips over the cereal and stir to combine.
- Spread the cereal treat mixture into the greased pan and gently press it into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 ½ tablespoons of mini chocolate chips over top.
- Use your fingers to press the chips into the sticky marshmallow.
- Let the pan of treats cool at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Remove from the pan and cut into squares.
Cookie Crisp Treats
- large mixing bowl
- medium or large saucepan
- 8-inch or 9-inch square pan
- 7 cups Cookie Crisp Cereal
- 4 tablespoons European-style Salted Butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- ⅔ cup mini chocolate chips
- Grease a large mixing bowl, an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan, and a large silicone spatula with butter or baking spray.
- Pour the Cookie Crisp Cereal into the mixing bowl.
- Set aside.
- Begin melting the butter in a medium or large saucepan set over LOW heat.
- Toss in the marshmallows and stir occasionally until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and continuously stir, smashing the marshmallows, allowing them to melt until smooth.
- Pour the melted marshmallows over top of the cereal.
- Toss to coat evenly.
- Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle about ½ cup of the mini chocolate chips over the top of the cereal and stir until combined.
- Gently press into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the cereal bars and press down to ensure they stick.
- Let the Cookie Crisp cereal treats cool for about an hour before cutting into 16 squares.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Microwave Directions:
- Heat the butter and marshmallows on high power, in a large mixing bowl, for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir vigorously until melted, smashing the marshmallows to help them melt.
- If needed, heat for additional 15-second increments, stirring vigorously after each, until melted and smooth.
- Pour over cereal then follow the instructions above.
more cereal bar recipes