Cute-as-can be donut Rice Krispie treats are an easy, fun no-bake dessert. Decorate however you like!
Printable recipe and video how-tos included below.
Donut Rice Krispie Treats
To make donut Rice Krispie Treats, simply start with our 3-ingredient BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe, cut into donut shapes, and top with frosting and sprinkles.
This is an easy, fun food idea to make with kids!
how to make donut Rice Krispie Treats
you will need:
RICE KRISPIES CEREAL
Use the classic cereal or any store-brand version.
You will need 10 ounces of marshmallows. Different brands have different densities, so it’s best to use a scale or the weight printed on the bag as a guide, but in general, 10 ounces of marshmallows is 40 regular size OR 6 cups of mini.
For best results, we recommend using European-style, salted butter.
Use your own favorite icing or frosting recipe (or store-bought), but I'll include a recipe for an icing here. You'll need confectioner's sugar, milk (plant-based works too), vanilla extract, and salt.
Choose any color of gel paste food coloring you like. My preference is the Americolor Soft Gel Paste brand. Electric Pink is used here.
Use any sprinkle size or shape you like. I prefer rainbow jimmies to most mimic real donuts.
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED:
- cooking spray
- set of circle cookie cutters
- baking tray and parchment paper
- disposable decorating bag or Ziploc
SUPPLIES AND INGREDIENTS
TIP: Spray your bowls and spatulas with non-stick cooking spray.
Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and add 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies.
Line the baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
step one: prepare your cereal treats
In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 10 ounces of marshmallows and 4 tablespoons salted, European butter.
Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir, using the residual heat to fully melt the mixture. If needed, microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
Be sure to keep your eye on the marshmallows! They will puff up.
Remember, 10 ounces of marshmallows equals 6 cups of mini marshmallows (usually 1 bag) OR about 40 regular marshmallows.
Stir very well until smooth. Pour over the cereal and mix well.
Overturn the mixture onto the baking tray and pat with a spatula to form a rough oval. You will not fill the tray. The treats should measure about ½ inch thick and about 12-inches by 10-inches.
Chill for an hour or let set for two hours.
step two: cut out your treats
Use two circle cookie cutters to cut out the donuts. Try and cut as closely together as possible to minimize scraps. (Although the scraps are just as tasty.)
Here, I used a 3-inch cutter and a ¾-inch circle cutter for the inside.
step three: prepare your icing
This is a sugar cookie icing that sets pretty well and doesn't rely on meringue powder or corn syrup.
Mix together with a whisk:
- 1 ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk (any version is fine)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- dash of salt
If icing is too thick, thin with a bit of milk. If icing is too thin, thicken with some confectioner's sugar.
TIP: If you do not plan on adding food coloring, you may omit the vanilla so the icing is brighter.
Add a drop or two of food coloring and stir well.
step four: decorate your donuts
Scrape the icing into a decorating bag or Ziploc. Snip the tip.
Pipe icing on the donuts and top with sprinkles.
Let set and enjoy!
donut Rice Krispie Treats
- cooking spray
- baking tray
- parchment paper
- circle cookie cutters (3-inch and ¾-inch)
- Pink gel paste food coloring
- rainbow sprinkles
- disposable decorating bag OR Ziploc
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular OR 6 cups mini)
- 4 tablespoons salted European style butter
- 1 ½ cups confectioner's sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk (any milk product works)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash salt
- TIP: Spray your bowls and spatulas with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and add cereal.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place marshmallows and butter, sliced. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir, using the residual heat to fully melt the mixture. If needed, microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir very well until smooth. Pour over the cereal and mix well.
- Overturn the mixture onto the baking tray and pat with a spatula to form a rough oval. You will not fill the tray. The treats should measure about ½ inch thick and about 12-inches by 10-inches.
- Chill for an hour or let set for two hours.
- Cut out circles with the larger cutter. Cut as closely together as possible to minimize scraps. Use the small cutter to cut a hole in the center of the treats.
- Prepare the icing. Whisk the confectioner's sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt. To thicken icing, add additional confectioner's sugar. To thin to desired consistency, add milk.
- Color the icing pink with a few drops of food coloring.
- Scrape the icing into a decorating bag or Ziploc. Snip the tip.
- Pipe icing on the donuts and top with sprinkles.
- Let set and enjoy.
more cereal treat recipes
If you like these donut Rice Krispie Treats, check out these other fun treats!