These cake batter flavored Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats are so colorful and fun. Each marshmallow cereal treat bar is loaded with rainbow-colored sprinkles and is flavored to taste like a slice of yellow cake. These rice crispy treats are perfect for a birthday party or just a simple afternoon snack.
If you love a big slice of frosted birthday cake piled high with rainbow sprinkles then you are going to love this cake batter flavored Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats recipe.
Each bar tastes like a crispy version of a birthday cake.
To make these treats I started with our amazing Rice Krispie Treat Recipe, which has the perfect proportions of salted butter, marshmallows, and Rice Krispies Cereal. Then I added a splash of cake batter flavoring and lots of sprinkles.
You may have seen cake batter rice crispy recipes that call for adding actual powdered cake mix but I do not personally feel good about eating raw cake mix, so I would not recommend doing that.
Cake batter flavoring comes in a bottle, is safe to eat, and is really yummy. It makes rice Krispie treats taste like yellow cake.
Of course, these Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats also need to be speckled with lots of sprinkles. I chose to use rainbow sprinkles, also known as jimmies, sugar strands, or hundreds-and-thousands, but you can use single colors or blend your own color combination for any holiday or occasion.
Be sure to check out our Rice Krispie Treat FAQ page for great tips and tricks for making cereal treats including information about measuring marshmallows.
How to make Funfetti Treats
You will need:
- 4 tablespoons European-style Salted Butter (for the very best flavor)
- 10 ounces marshmallows (we recommend using Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows)*
- 4 ⅔ cup Rice Krispies Cereal
- 4 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan
*Some store brand marshmallows, like those from Kroger, have a nice flavor but are far too sticky for our recipe. If that is what you choose to use, you will want to add more cereal, about ½ cup to this recipe. Just know that your cereal mixture will be a little stickier to mix.
If you are using a pan with a nice non-stick surface your treats will most likely come right out, but I always grease my pan with a bit of butter or non-stick cooking spray just to ensure they will slide out easily.
Ingredients for a larger batch:
- 6 tablespoons European-style Salted Butter
- 16 ounces Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows
- 7 cups Rice Krispies Cereal (add an extra 1 cup if using store brand marshmallows)
- 6 tablespoons sprinkles
- a 9-inch by 13-inch pan
How many cups of marshmallows are in my bags?
- Each cup of mini marshmallows weighs approximately 1.67 ounces.
- A 10-ounce bag contains approximately 6 cups of mini marshmallows.
- A 16-ounce bag contains approximately 9 ⅔ cups of mini marshmallows.
Standard (large) Marshmallows:
- Each large marshmallow is approximately 0.24 ounces.
- Each brand of marshmallow weighs slightly different amounts.
- 7-8 marshmallows = 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- There are approximately 40-48 marshmallows in a 10-ounce bag and 64-70 in a 16-ounce bag.
- Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows are lighter than some other brands. If using them you’ll need 40 marshmallows for a recipe calling for 10 ounces and 64 for a 16-ounce recipe.
You can find the items needed to make these treats on amazon (commission earned for any sales at no additional cost to you).
Stovetop method (small batch):
- Begin to melt the 4 ounces of salted butter in a large saucepan set over LOW heat.
- Add the 10 ounces of marshmallows and stir to blend with the melted butter.
- Continue to heat the marshmallows, stirring often, until about 75% of the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir vigorously until completely melted.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of cake batter flavoring.
- Pour over the 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal and stir until the cereal is all coated with marshmallows.
- Sprinkle in about 3 tablespoons of rainbow sprinkles and stir just to incorporate the sprinkles.
- Pour into a well-buttered 8-inch or 9-inch pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sprinkles over the top of the treats and press gently with your hand to ensure they have all stuck.
- Allow the bars to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into rectangles or squares.
- Combine the butter and marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat on high power for 1 minute then remove and stir until the melted butter blends with the marshmallows.
- Keep stirring until the marshmallows melt.
- If needed, reheat for 15-30 second increments, stirring after each, until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Stir in the cake batter flavoring.
- Add the rice crispy cereal and stir to evenly coat the cereal.
- Toss in 4 tablespoons of the sprinkles and stir just to incorporate.
- Gently spread the cereal mixture into a well-buttered 9 by 13-inch pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining sprinkles over top and press down on them with your hands.
- Give the cereal treats time to cool before cutting into squares or rectangles.
If you love sprinkles you might also like these fun birthday recipes:
Watch this video to see just how quickly these cake batter flavored cereal treats speckled with sprinkles come together...
Cake Batter Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats Video
Funfetti Cereal Treats Recipe
Funfetti Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
- 4 tablespoons European-style salted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon cake batter flavoring
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 4 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles (jimmies), divided
- Begin melting butter in a large saucepan set over low heat.
- Toss in the marshmallows.
- Continue to stir, occasionally, until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir, smashing the marshmallows, until they melt completely.
- Stir in the cake batter flavoring.
- Pour the cereal into a large, well buttered mixing bowl.
- Pour the marshmallows over top and stir to fully incorporate.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of the sprinkles just until combined.
- Gently spread into a well buttered 8-inch or 9-inch pan.
- Toss the remaining 1 tablespoon of sprinkles over top.
- Press down on the top of the cereal treats to ensure the sprinkles are secure.
- Allow the treats to cool at least 30 minutes before cutting into 16 squares .
- Heat butter and marshmallows on high power for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir.
- If needed, heat for 15-30 second increments, stirring vigorously after each, until melted.
- Add the cake batter flavoring then pour over the cereal and continue using the instructions above.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days .
- Wrap well in non-stick tin foil or wax paper, then over-wrap in a zip-top bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature for at least one hour before removing the treats from the bag.
You might like these other fun rice cereal treat recipes...