It's easy to make crispy and chewy Honey Bunches of Oats Bars using just 3 ingredients. These marshmallow cereal treats are packed with honey-flavored corn, wheat, and rice flakes with crunchy granola clusters.
We love making gooey marshmallow cereal treats using a variety of cereals. We've created recipes using just about every kid's cereal and are now experimenting with some cereals like Honey Bunches of Oats that are marketed towards adults.
Because what adult would pass up a chewy Rice Krispie Treats made with their favorite cereal?
If you love Honey Bunches of Oats, you will really enjoy this recipe which has the perfect ratio of butter, marshmallows, and cereal.
What are you waiting for? Let's make some treats!
- Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal - This honey-flavored cereal combines rice, corn, and wheat flakes with granola clusters. It's crispy and crunchy and makes a delicious-tasting treat.
- butter - Salted European-style butter (with a higher butterfat content than American-made butter) will give your treats the best flavor. See our taste test results for more information.
- marshmallows - You can use regular or mini marshmallows. We recommend using Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows or Campfire Staypuft Marshmallows because they produce perfectly chewy treats. We have found that some store-brand marshmallows are really sticky when melted and you may need to add up to an extra cup of cereal. See our marshmallow conversion chart for details about measuring marshmallows.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- extra-large mixing bowl - Grease the mixing bowl with butter so the marshmallows won't stick.
- medium-large (3 or 4-quart) saucepan - Use a non-stick pan so the marshmallows don't stick.
- 8-inch or 9-inch square pan - This recipe makes a small batch of these treats so you can use a square pan. If you prefer thinner treats, use a larger pan.
- small saucepan - Melt the caramel and chocolate ganache in a small saucepan. If you have one with a spout, it's even better!
- silicone spatula - If you grease a silicone spatula (or Spoonula) with butter or baking spray, the cereal treat mixture won't stick. You can also use a wooden spoon but I'd grease it too.
Rice Krispie Treat Layer
Grease a large mixing bowl with butter and pour in 12 ounces of Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal.
Set a saucepan over low heat. Add the butter that's been cut into pieces. Begin to melt the butter.
Stir the marshmallows into the melted butter and allow them to begin to melt.
Stir often until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted. Then, remove the pan from the heat.
Stir the marshmallows until smooth. If needed, return to low heat for 30 seconds, and stir again.
Pour the melted butter and marshmallows over the Honey Bunches of Oats cereal.
Stir the cereal and marshmallows until well combined. Try not to smash the cereal as it will break.
Gently spread the cereal treat mixture into a pan that has been greased with butter or baking spray.
Honey Bunches of Oats is available in a variety of flavors including almond, strawberry, and vanilla. All of these will make delicious Honey Bunches of Oats marshmallow cereal bars. You might also like these other variations.
- peanut butter - You can add peanut butter to the treats. Use our Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats recipe and swap out 6 cups of Honey Bunches of Oats for the Rice Krispies Cereal.
- cashew butter - If you prefer the flavor of cashew butter, use our Cashew Butter Rice Krispie Treats as the base for this recipe using 6 cups of cereal.
- chocolate chips - Toss some mini chocolate chips into these treats. Just be sure to follow the instructions in our Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats recipe and allow the cereal treat mixture to cool slightly before mixing in the chocolate.
You can swap out some ingredients if you'd like.
- coconut oil - You can swap out coconut oil for the butter in the same quantities.
- peanut butter and honey - If you'd prefer a gelatin-free (marshmallow-free) treat, you can make our Honey Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats using 6 cups of Honey Bunches of Oats cereal.
- other cereal - The size and shape of a cereal will determine the ratio of butter, marshmallows, and cereal in a recipe. Check out our recipe index to find a particular recipe using a different cereal.
Do not overheat your marshmallows because the sugar in the marshmallows could crystallize causing the cooled marshmallows to become like hard candy. This will make your treats too hard.
Don't smash the cereal into the baking pan or you will crush the rice, corn, and wheat flakes.
These Honey Bunches of Oats treats will taste the best the day they are made but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
To keep them longer, you can freeze the cereal bars in an airtight container or large zip-top bag for up to 3 months.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Honey Bunches of Oats Bars
- 1 extra-large mixing bowl
- 1 medium-large saucepan
- 1 silicone spatula
- 1 8-inch or 9-inch square pan
- 12 ounces Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal (about 6 cups)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter (European-style for the best flavor)
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- Grease an extra-large mixing bowl and an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with butter.
- Pour the cereal into the extra-large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cut the butter into slices and place them in a medium-large saucepan set over LOW heat on the stove.
- Allow the butter to begin melting then pour in the marshmallows.
- Stir often until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted marshmallows over the cereal and then stir until well blended.
- Spread the marshmallow cereal treat mixture into your prepared pan.
- Let the Honey Bunches of Oats bars cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to several hours.
- Remove the treats from the pan and cut them into 16 squares.
Please leave a comment.