Crunchy gooey Kix cereal treats are SO easy to make with only three ingredients.
Kix Cereal Treats
We LOVE the cereal aisle over here. The lastest in our kids' cereal treats collection? KIX cereal treats! The combination of crunchy cereal and ooey gooey marshmallows is divine.
Have questions about making cereal treats? Check out our FAQ page. (Or leave a comment and we'll be happy to help!)
You only need three ingredients to make these yummy treats!
butter - We suggest using European-style salted butter for the very best flavor.
KIX cereal - General Mill's brand of Kix puffy corn cereal is our go-to. We use our BEST Rice Krispie Treats cereal as a recipe guide, but because Kix cereal is larger, we've adjusted the amount of cereal used.
marshmallows - You can use mini or regular marshmallows, but be sure to use the amount in the recipe. We highly recommend using FRESH Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows.
Different brands have different consistencies, so check out our Marshmallow Conversion post for more details.
I also recommend spraying bowls and spatulas with non-stick spray to deal with the stickiness.
You may use either the microwave OR the stove-top.
I recommend greasing bowls and spatulas with non-stick cooking spray.
Line your baking pan with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
Place the cereal in a large bowl sprayed with non-stick spray or buttered.
In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place the marshmallows and butter, cut in pieces.
Microwave for 1 minute and let sit a couple minutes. Stir very well until completely smooth. If needed, microwave an additional 15 seconds.
Fold into the cereal and mix well. Transfer to the baking pan and gently press evenly. Do not press too hard or the treats will be too compacted.
Let set and cool to room temperature before cutting into squares.
Follow the above instructions, but melt the marshmallows and butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring.
Melt until the marshmallows are 75 % melted, remove from heat, and stir, using residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows.
why not pour the cereal into the marshmallow mixture?
If you reverse the order and pour cereal into a hot bowl or pan, you risk the cereal heating and becoming soggy.
Store your treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
You can also freeze the treats up to 3 months. Place in a zip-top bag and remove the air before sealing.
Kix cereal treats
- 8 or 9 inch square baking pan
- non-stick foil or parchment
- non-stick cooking spray
- 7 cups Kix cereal (about 175 grams)
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular OR 6 cups mini)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter European-style recommended
- Line a baking pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Grease a large bowl and add the cereal. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place the butter, cut in pieces, and the marshmallows.
- Microwave for 1 minute and let sit a couple minutes. Stir very well until the mixture is completely smooth. If needed, add another 15 seconds in the microwave.
- Alternatively, heat the marshmallows and butter in a saucepan over low, stirring. When 75% of the marshmallows have melted, remove from heat and stir, using residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows.
- Fold the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir well.
- Transfer to the prepared pan, gently pressing the treats evenly.
- Let cool, 30 minutes to 2 hours, and cut into squares.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces marshmallows
- 11 cups Kix cereal