These colorful M&M Rice Krispie Treats are so easy to make, with only four ingredients, and are sure to be everyone's favorite dessert.
Scroll to the end for video how-tos and a printable recipe.
M & M Rice Krispie Treats
If you're looking for a perfect birthday party treat (or anytime treat), these four-ingredient M & M Rice Krispie Treats are the answer.
We add the classic colorful candies to our perfect, never-fail Rice Krispie treat recipe for just a bit of crunch and chocolate, truly making these the best, no-bake dessert.
how to make M & M Rice Krispie Treats
Good news! It's easy. You'll only need Rice Krispies cereal, marshmallows, salted butter, and, of course, M & M candies.
you will need:
Feel free to use any brand name of the crispy cereal.
For best results, we recommend using salted, European-style butter. It really does make a difference!
You'll of course need the famous candy!
You’ll need 10 ounces of marshmallows. Different brands of marshmallows have different weights, so it’s best to use a scale or go by the weight on the bag. Generally, 10 ounces of marshmallows is about 40 of the regular size and 6 cups of the mini.
tools you will need:
- 8-inch or 9-inch baking pan
- cooking spray
- non-stick foil
Let's make cereal treats!
Spray a large bowl with cooking spray or rub with butter or Crisco.
Add 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal. Line an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick foil.
microwave Rice Krispie Treats
In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 4 tablespoons of salted butter and 10 ounces of marshmallows. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir, and microwave for at additional 30 second intervals, if needed. Stir until very smooth.
Be sure to keep your eye on the marshmallows! They will puff up.
Remember, 10 ounces of marshmallows equals 6 cups of mini marshmallows (usually 1 bag) OR about 40 regular marshmallows.
Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir gently until the mixture is very well combined. Fold in 1 cup of M & M candies.
Transfer to the prepared baking pan. Use a spatula to evenly press the cereal treats into the pan. Press more candies, about 2 tablespoons of M & Ms, into the top of the treats.
Let cool completely, about 2 hours. You may also chill in the refrigerator. Cut into 16 squares.
supplies and ingredients to make Rice Krispie Treats
Here are the specific supplies and ingredients I used to make my M and M Rice Krispie Treats.
how do you make Rice Krispie Treats on the stove-top?
The instructions above are for microwave Rice Krispie Treats, but you may of course also make the treats on the stove top.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and add the marshmallows. Continue to melt over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is very smooth.
Pour the mixture over the Rice Krispies cereal in the bowl and follow the instructions above.
how do you make a larger batch of M & M Rice Krispie Treats?
I prefer making smaller batches of Rice Krispie Treats, in 8-inch or 9-inch square pans, because I find it much more manageable. However, you can absolutely make this cereal treat recipe in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. To do so, adjust your measurements as follows:
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounces of marshmallows (just over 9 cups of mini marshmallows OR about 68 regular marshmallows)
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 ½ cups plus 4 tablespoons M & M candies
Cut the cooled Rice Krispie Treats into 28 squares.
watch this video to make M & M Rice Krispie Treats
printable M & M Rice Krispie Treat recipe
M & M Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows 6 cups mini marshmallows OR 40 regular size
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup M & M candies plus an additional 2 tablespoons
- Grease a large bowl and an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray, butter, or Crisco. Place the Rice Krispies cereal in the large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place the butter and marshmallows. Microwave on high for 1 minute, watching the marshmallows carefully, as they will puff up. Stir and continue to microwave, if needed, at 30 second intervals. Stir very well until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies and gently stir to incorporate all of the mixture into the cereal.
- Gently fold in 1 cup of M and M candies.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press evenly with a spatula. Insert the additional M and Ms into the top of the treats.
- Cool at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. Cut into squares.
This M&M Rice Krispie Treats recipe was originally posted in July 2019 and updated in June 2021.
more Rice Krispie Treat recipes
You might also like these cereal treats recipes: