These colorful M & M Rice Krispie Treats are so easy to make, with only four ingredients, and are sure to be everyone’s favorite dessert. Scroll to the end for video how-tos and a printable recipe.
M & M Rice Krispie Treats
If you’re looking for a perfect birthday party treat (or anytime treat), these four-ingredient M & M Rice Krispie Treats are the answer. We add the classic colorful candies to our perfect, never-fail Rice Krispie treat recipe for just a bit of crunch and chocolate, truly making these the best, no-bake dessert.
how to make M & M Rice Krispie Treats
Good news! It’s easy. You’ll only need Rice Krispies cereal, marshmallows, salted butter, and, of course, M & M candies.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray or rub with butter or Crisco. Add 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal. Also grease an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
microwave Rice Krispie Treats
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 4 tablespoons of salted butter and 10 ounces of marshmallows. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir, and microwave for at additional 30 second intervals, if needed. Stir until very smooth.
- Be sure to keep your eye on the marshmallows! They will puff up.
- 10 ounces of marshmallows equals 6 cups of mini marshmallows (usually 1 bag) OR about 40 regular marshmallows.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir gently until the mixture is very well combined. Fold in 1 cup of M & M candies.
- Transfer to the prepared baking pan. Use a spatula to evenly press the cereal treats into the pan. Press more candies, about 2 tablespoons of M & Ms, into the top of the treats.
- Let cool completely, about 2 hours. You may also chill in the refrigerator. Cut into 16 squares.
supplies and ingredients to make Rice Krispie Treats
Here are the specific supplies and ingredients I used to make my M and M Rice Krispie Treats.
how do you make Rice Krispie Treats on the stove-top?
The instructions above are for microwave Rice Krispie Treats, but you may of course also make the treats on the stove top. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and add the marshmallows. Continue to melt over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is very smooth. Pour the mixture over the Rice Krispies cereal in the bowl and follow the instructions above.
how do you make a larger batch of M & M Rice Krispie Treats?
I prefer making smaller batches of Rice Krispie Treats, in 8-inch or 9-inch square pans, because I find it much more manageable. However, you can absolutely make this cereal treat recipe in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. To do so, adjust your measurements as follows:
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounces of marshmallows (just over 9 cups of mini marshmallows OR about 68 regular marshmallows)
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 1/2 cups plus 4 tablespoons M & M candies
Cut the cooled Rice Krispie Treats into 28 squares.
watch this video to make M & M Rice Krispie Treats
printable M & M Rice Krispie Treat recipe
M & M Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows 6 cups mini marshmallows OR 40 regular size
- 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup M & M candies plus an additional 2 tablespoons
- Grease a large bowl and an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray, butter, or Crisco. Place the Rice Krispies cereal in the large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place the butter and marshmallows. Microwave on high for 1 minute, watching the marshmallows carefully, as they will puff up. Stir and continue to microwave, if needed, at 30 second intervals. Stir very well until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies and gently stir to incorporate all of the mixture into the cereal.
- Gently fold in 1 cup of M and M candies.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press evenly with a spatula. Insert the additional M and Ms into the top of the treats.
- Cool at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. Cut into squares.
more Rice Krispie Treat recipes
You might also like these cereal treats recipes: