Load up your marshmallow cereal treats with bits of chocolate and vanilla sandwich cookies to make the most amazing OREO Rice Krispie Treats ever!
To make these cookie-filled treats, you'll start by making a batch of our award-winning Rice Krispie Treats which have the perfect ratio of butter, marshmallows, and cereal.
Then, to give these treats a lovely cookies 'n cream flavor, you'll add some creamy white chocolate and lots of OREO Cookies.
The crunchy chocolate cookies filled with vanilla cream pair beautifully with the ooey, gooey, buttery marshmallow-coated cereal. Plus the white chocolate gives these treats a little something extra special.
Don't they look amazing? They are crispy and crunchy and perfectly chewy.
They are a fantastic treat to make for an afternoon snack or dessert tonight and they will be a huge hit at your next bake sale.
You can have a whole pan of these OREO rice crispy treats made in about 15 minutes. So, let's get started.
- You'll break up 16 original OREO Cookies to blend with the marshmallow crispy treats.
- If you like more vanilla cream, feel free to use Double Stuf OREO Cookies or Mega Stuf OREO Cookies.
- Nabisco is constantly coming out with new OREO cookie flavors like Mint Flavor Cream OREO Cookies, Peanut Butter Cream OREO Cookies, or Carrot Cake OREO Cookies, so have fun making a variety of treats.
Rice Krispies Cereal
- We tested a variety of crisp rice cereals and we recommend using the original Kellogg's Rice Krispies Cereal for the best flavor and texture.
- See our taste test results where we compared a variety of cereals, here.
- You can use 10 ounces of any brand of marshmallows you like to make this recipe but we recommend using Kraft Jet-Puffed for the best flavor and texture. We found that store-brand marshmallows make stickier treats so you may want to toss in a bit more cereal if you use them.
- Always use the freshest marshmallows you have on hand. Fresh marshmallows make more delicately chewy treats.
- If you can't find a 10-ounce bag of marshmallows you can usually use 40 regular-size OR 6 cups of mini marshmallows. Different brands of marshmallows do weigh different amounts. See our Marshmallow Conversion Chart for weights and measurements of most marshmallow brands.
- We have found that European-style salted butter provides the best flavor in our cereal treats recipes. You'll be amazed at the difference good butter will make in this recipe.
- In our taste test, we found that 4 tablespoons (¼ cup, ½ stick, 56.7 grams) of butter will give the treats the richest flavor.
- We recommend using KeriGold or President Butter but Kroger Private Selection French-style Butter is great too.
- By adding ⅓ cup of white chocolate chips to this recipe, your treats will have a wonderful cookies and cream flavor to them.
- You can skip it if you prefer not to use it. It won't really make a big difference in the texture of the treats.
- medium-large saucepan
- 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan
- large mixing bowl
- silicone spatula or large mixing spoon
- butter or cooking spray to grease your pan, bowl, and spatula (I prefer the flavor of butter, but the non-stick spray works too.)
buy ingredients & supplies
You can find the ingredients and supplies to make these Oreo O's marshmallow cereal treats from Amazon. I earn a small commission for any sales when you use the links below at NO extra cost to you.
Let's make OREO Cookie Rice Krispie squares.
Stove Top Method
- Grease an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with either butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour 4 tablespoons of European Salted Butter*, ⅓ cup white chocolate chips (if using), and 10 ounces of mini or regular-sized marshmallows into a large saucepan.
- Set the pan over low heat and stir often, until about 75% of the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir until all the marshmallows and white chocolate melt.
- Stir in 4 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal and 14 OREO Cookies, broken into pieces.
- Gently press the cereal treats into the prepared pan.
- Break up 2 more OREO Cookies and add them on top of the treats in spots where there are no cookies.
- Let the treats cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting them into 16 squares.
- Combine 4 tablespoons of European Salted Butter*, ⅓ cup white chocolate chips (if using), and 10 ounces of mini or regular-sized marshmallows.
- Heat on high power for 1 minute then remove and stir until the marshmallows and white chocolate chips begin to melt.
- Heat for additional 15 seconds then let the bowl sit in the microwave for a minute before removing.
- Stir until the marshmallows and white chocolate melt and blend together with the butter.
- Keep stirring! The heat from the melted marshmallows will continue to melt the bits of marshmallows that remain.
- Of course, every microwave heats differently so at this point if your marshmallows are still not fully melted you can heat for 15-second bursts of high power, stirring after each until fully melted.
- Just be careful to not overheat the marshmallows. If they get too hot they will become more like hard candy and will create hard rice Krispie treats.
- Stir in 4 cups of Kellogg's Rice Krispies Cereal and 14 OREO Cookies that are broken into small pieces.
- Gently press the cereal treats into a prepared pan.
- Immediately break up 2 more OREO Cookies and press the pieces on top of the cereal treats, adding them where there are no cookie chunks.
- Set aside to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into 16 squares.
Be sure to read our How To Make Cereal Treats FAQ page for all of our tips and tricks for making marshmallow crispy treats. Here are a few questions you might have about this recipe.
When creating our BEST Rice Krispie Treats recipe we had 20 people taste test many different brands of butter in our recipe and found that everyone unanimously agreed that European salted butter makes the most flavorful rice crispy treats.
We choose to use either President Salted Butter, Kerrygold, or Kroger Private Selection French Cream Butter but Land O Lakes' new European Butter tastes really nice in these cereal treats too.
Does salted butter really matter? Yes! It really does make better-tasting treats.
I prefer to use a non-stick pan to make my cereal treats because even as gooey as they can be they won't stick much to a non-stick pan.
To ensure the treats won't stick I like to butter the pan first.
You can also spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray if you prefer.
If you use a glass pan it will be essential that you butter or spray the pan.
You can use an 8-inch or 9-inch pan with this recipe.
Yes, but you will need to adjust the quantities. See the quantities below.
Melt 6 tablespoons European Salted Butter, 16 ounces marshmallows, and ½ cup white chocolate chips.
Stir in 6 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal and 18 OREO Cookies, broken into small pieces.
Spread into a 9-inch by 13-inch, greased, pan.
Top with 3 or 4 more OREO Cookies, broken into pieces.
Cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into 24 pieces.
I added ⅓rd cup of Nestle Premier White Morsels. I really like the nice vanilla flavor the chips add to these cookies and cream-style cereal bars.
You can use any white chocolate that you enjoy eating, just be sure to chop it finely, if using bars or blocks of white chocolate.
Your cereal treats will taste best if eaten within the first few days but they will stay crispy and fresh for up to 10 days if stored properly in an airtight container or large zip-top bag.
Do not refrigerate the treats as they may become soggy and soft.
You can freeze them if you wrap them well in plastic wrap, over-wrap them in tin foil, then place them in a large zip-top bag. They'll keep for up to 3 months.
Use coconut oil instead of butter if you'd prefer a dairy-free option. See our Coconut Oil Rice Krispie Treats recipe for the ingredient quantities.
If you prefer a marshmallow-free option, be sure to check out our Caramel Rice Krispie Treat and Peanut Butter Honey Rice Krispie Treat recipes. Simply add the OREO Cookie pieces to either of these recipes.
If you can't get enough chocolate flavor, mix OREO Cookie pieces into our Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats for a double chocolate treat.
Or for a double whammy of OREO Cookie flavor, toss the cookie pieces into our OREO O's Bars.
For a sweet twist, add OREO Cookies to our Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats. They'll taste like chocolate-covered strawberries.
Be sure to watch the video to see how easy it is to make these yummy OREO Cookie bars.
OREO Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons European Style Salted Butter, cut into small pieces
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- 4 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 OREO Cookies, broken into small pieces
- Combine the butter, marshmallows, and white chocolate chips, if using, in a large microwave-safe bowl and heat on high power for one minute.
- Remove an stir until melted.
- If needed, continue to heat for 15-second increments, stirring after each, until melted.
- Optionally, you can melt the butter, marshmallows, and white chocolate chips, if using, in a large saucepan set over low heat on the stovetop.
- Pour in the Rice Krispies Cereal and about 12 of the OREO Cookie (broken into pieces).
- Spread into a buttered, non-stick 8-inch pan then press the remaining cookie pieces on top.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into 16 squares.
- Store your OREO Rice Crispy Treats in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 7 days.
- Large Batch Recipe:
- Melt 6 tablespoons European Salted Butter, 16 ounces marshmallows, and ½ cup white chocolate chips.
- Stir in 6 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal and 18 OREO Cookies, broken into small pieces.
- Spread into a 9 inch by 13-inch, greased, pan.
- Top with 3 or 4 more OREO Cookies, broken into pieces.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into 24 pieces.
This rice krispie oreo recipe was originally published on June 6, 2019.