It's super easy to color Rice Krispie Treats! These vibrant, red treats are great for holidays or themed parties.
red Rice Krispie Treats
Coloring Rice Krispie Treats to personalize desserts or for holiday designs is so easy. It's just one extra step. Red Rice Krispie Treats are great for Valentine's Day and Christmas. Or, if your team wears red jerseys, cereal treats for their wins! Even for Halloween (wrap as "raw meat").
We already have plenty of fun party treats with different colors. And, follow these instructions to make red and pink hearts for Valentine's Day. But here, we're focusing on making perfect RED cereal treats.
And if you have any questions, learn to make flawless cereal treats HERE.
How to color Rice Krispie Treats
We start with our BEST taste-tested Rice Krispie Treat recipe. After melting the marshmallows and butter, stir in red food coloring. Then, fold into the Rice Krispies, transfer to a baking pan, let set, and cut.
red food coloring
Because of it's vibrancy, red food coloring can be intense. While any red food coloring works in this recipe, the brand does matter.
We recommend using gel paste food coloring instead of liquid food coloring, as it is more concentrated. You need a lot of food coloring to get a good red, and liquid food coloring can ruin the texture of your treats.
When it comes to gel paste, you may use any brand from the craft store or even the supermarket, however, note that the taste may be a bit bitter.
I highly recommend Americolor Soft Gel Paste in Red Red, (or any if their reds) available online and in some specialty stores.
Supplies and Ingredients you'll need
To make cereal treats, you'll need Rice Krispies cereal, marshmallows, and butter. That's it!
To make a smaller batch of treats, you'll need:
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies
- 4 tablespoons salted butter (European style preferred)
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular-sized OR 6 cups mini)
To make a larger batch of treats, you'll need:
- 7 cups Rice Krispies
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounces marshmallows (about 68 regular-sized OR 9 cups mini)
As mentioned above, you'll need red food coloring.
I also recommend spraying bowls and spatulas with non-stick spray to deal with the stickiness.
Fun party ideas for Rice Krispie Treats
So what do you do with your red Rice Crispy Treats? Feel free to make any size treats, just add more red food coloring as needed. Here are some tips:
- How to make sheet pan Rice Krispie Treats
- How to cut out Rice Krispie Treats with cookie cutters
- Find ideas in this roundup of 40 Rice Krispie Treat variations.
To decorate treats for Valentine's Day or Christmas:
Top with holiday-themed sprinkles. Press the sprinkles to adhere to the treats. Or, spread with vanilla frosting and then add sprinkles.
And on the flip side of the year, we have Christmas!
print the recipe
red Rice Krispie Treats
- non-stick cooking spray
- 8 OR 9-inch baking pan (see notes for making treats in a 9 x 13 pan)
- RED food coloring (Americolor Soft Gel Paste highly recommended)
- parchment or non-stick foil
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal (5.1 ounces or 146 grams)
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular OR 6 cups mini)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter European-style recommended
- Line your baking pan with foil or parchment and set aside.
- TIP: Spray your bowls and spatulas with non-stick spray.
- Place the cereal in a large, greased bowl.
- Place the marshmallows and butter, cut in pieces, in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for one minute and stir vigorously until melted and smooth.
- If needed, microwave in 15 second increments.
- Squeeze food coloring into the mixture and stir well. Add additional food coloring until desire shade is achieved.
- Fold the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and blend very well.
- Transfer to the baking pan and let rest until well set, at least 2 hours.
- Cut into squares and decorate or enjoy.