Show your patriotic pride by serving these Red, White and Blue Rice Krispie Treat stars at your Memorial Day, 4th of July, Presidents Day, or Veterans Day party. These marshmallow cereal treats, speckled with red and blue Rice Krispies Cereal, are so simple to make with just 3 ingredients.
The summer is finally upon us and that means you’ll be busy cooking and baking for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day picnics and parties. Why not make some super simple Red, White and Blue Rice Krispie Treat Stars to serve to your party guests?
They are the perfect treat to bring to a picnic and now that you can buy boxes of Limited Edition Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Cereal with Red & Blue Krispies you can quickly and easily make these star shaped cereal treats.
Don’t worry, if you can’t find the Red, White and Blue cereal, I’ll share tips for making them without that cereal too.
This 4th of July recipe is so easy to make. You’ll start by making a batch of the Perfect Rice Krispie Treats using our recipe that was taste tested by 20 people to find the perfect balance of butter, marshmallows, and cereal.
Then you’ll shape the treats into stars, using my no-waste method!
How to make Red, White and Blue Rice Krispie Treats
- European-style salted butter*
- Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Cereal with Red & Blue Krispies**
*Why European-style salted butter?
- It makes the absolute best tasting cereal treats. I promise you’ll be happy you used it!
- It also helps to preserve the freshness of your treats. They’ll keep up to a week, stored at room temperature.
**Where can you find the red, white and blue cereal?
- I found boxes of Kelloggs Rice Krispies Cereal with Red & Blue Krispies at Kroger and Target and they are available at many other grocery and discount stores, as well as, on-line at Amazon.
What if I can’t find the cereal?
- If you cannot find the special red, white and blue cereal, you can add 1/4 cup of red, white and blue sprinkles (jimmies) to make your treats colorful.
- Toss them into the cereal treats after you have mixed in the marshmallows to keep them from melting. Oh, and be sure to leave some to sprinkle over the top of the treats.
Stove Top Method:
- Begin to melt 4 ounces of butter in a saucepan set over low heat.
- Add 10 ounces of marshmallows, stirring often, until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Remove from the heat and continue to stir, smashing the marshmallows, allowing them to burst, until they become melted and smooth.
- Stir in the Red & Blue Rice Krispies cereal.
- Combine the butter and marshmallows in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Heat on high power for 1 minute then remove and stir until the melted butter blends with the marshmallows.
- Keep stirring and smashing the marshmallows until they all melt.
- If needed, you can reheat for 15 second increments, stirring after each, until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Stir in the Red & Blue Rice Krispies Cereal.
- Do not overheat your marshmallows or you will end with with hard treats.
- It is best to stir them a lot until they melt, as apposed to heating them too much.
How to shape the stars?
- Butter your hands and a star shaped cookie cutter.
- Pinch off chunks of the marshmallow cereal mixture and press gently into the star shaped cutter.
- Fill in cutter so that all five tips are filled with the cereal.
- Once the star is filled, gently push the treat out of the cookie cutter.
This method will create beautifully shaped stars with lots of whole cereal pieces showing around the edges. It may take a little bit of time to shape all your treats but there will be absolutely no waste.
Can I cut my stars from a pan of cooled treats?
- Yes, you can, but the edges won’t look quite as nice and you will have a lot of scraps.
- As an alternative, you can press the loose, warm, cereal mixture into a small rectangle, cut a star and set aside, then press more of the cereal together again, cut another star, and repeat until you have all the cereal used up.
- There won’t be any scraps using this method, but the treats will have cut edges so they will look a bit different than the stars you see pictured below.
- I personally like seeing the whole cereal pieces on the sides of my stars that’s why I filled the cutter with the cereal instead.
You can see both methods of shaping the stars in the video below.
Red, White and Blue Rice Krispie Treat Stars Video
Find more 4th of July Recipe ideas here…
- American Flag Pretzels
- American Flag S’mores Dip
- Red, White and Blue Popcorn Balls
- Red, White and Blue Fudge
4th of July Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
Red, White and Blue Rice Krispie Treat Stars
- 5 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies Cereal with Red & Blue Krispies
- 4 tablespoons European-style salted butter, cut into small pieces
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- Butter the inside of a large mixing bowl (or spray with cooking spray) and pour in the cereal. Set aside.
- Begin to melt the butter in a medium-large saucepan set over low heat on the stove.
- Add the marshmallows and stir, occasionally until about 75% of the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove from the heat and continue to stir, smashing the marshmallows with the spatula or spoon, until melted and smooth.
- Pour over the cereal.
- Allow the cereal to cool slightly.
- Butter your hands well and then butter the inside of a 2 1/2 to 3 inch star shaped cookie cutter.
- Gently press the cereal mixture into the cookie cutter filling in all 5 points.
- Once the cutter is completely full then push on the cereal treat, allowing it to slide out of the cutter.
- Repeat, creating as many star shaped treats as you are able.