Enjoy all the flavor you love in a peanut butter cup in these crunchy Reese's Puffs Cereal Treats. Each cereal bar has a blend of round peanut butter puffs and chocolate puffs as well as marshmallows and melted Reese's Cups.
Reese's Puffs cereal has been on grocery store shelves since 1994 and they are as popular as ever, especially with kids.
It's hard not to love the crunchy peanut butter and chocolate puffs.
I am having so much fun making all sorts of cereal treats using a variety of kid-friendly cereal, like Cap'n Crunch Cereal Treats, Fruity Pebbles Rice Crispy Treats, Cocoa Krispie Treats, and Froot Loops Cereal Bars and I was really excited to give this cereal a try.
Unlike a traditional rice crispy treat, that is made using small crisp rice cereal, these treats are made using large round puffs of cereal so the quantities of marshmallows, butter, and cereal are a bit different than are used to make our traditional Rice Krispie treat recipe.
Also, I wanted to really ramp up the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup flavor but didn't want chunks of the candy in the treats so I melted the candies with the marshmallows.
This makes the entire batch of cereal bars a gooey chocolate peanut butter marshmallow flavor.
Let's make cereal treats.
- 4 tablespoons of European-style salted butter (this will give you the absolute best flavor)
- 10 ounces Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows (store brand marshmallows might be a bit stickier, so you may need to add more cereal if you use store brand marshmallows)
- 6 cups Cap'n Crunch Crunch Berries Cereal
- 8-inch or 9-inch pan (well-buttered or sprayed with non-stick baking spray)
- Begin melting the butter in a saucepan set over low heat.
- Then add the marshmallows and stir occasionally until about 75% of the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir, smashing the marshmallows using a rubber spatula or the back of a wooden spoon, until the marshmallows completely melt and become smooth.
- Stir in the Reese's Puffs Cereal.
- Pour into a well-buttered 8-inch or 9-inch square pan.
- Allow the bars to cool for at least 1 hour before cutting into rectangles or squares.
- Combine the butter and marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat on high power for 1 minute then remove and stir until the melted butter blends with the marshmallows.
- Keep stirring until the marshmallows melt.
- If needed, reheat for 15-second increments, stirring after each, until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Stir in the Reese's Puffs Cereal then spread into a well-buttered 8-inch or 9-inch square pan.
- Give the cereal treats time to cool before cutting.
- Do not overheat your marshmallows.
- If marshmallows get too hot, the sugar will begin to caramelize, thereby making your treats hard and crunchy instead of gooey.
How to store cereal bars
- These treats are best the day they are made but they can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week.
- If you refrigerate the treats, the cereal may become too soft.
- If you wrap the treats well in non-stick tin foil then place in a zip-top bag you may freeze the treats for up to a month. To thaw set the treats on your counter for at least 1 hour before un-wrapping the treats.
Reese's Puffs Cereal Treats Recipe
Reese's Puffs Cereal Treats
- 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan, sprayed with baking spray or buttered
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- ½ cup Reese's Minis
- 6 cups Reese's Puffs Cereal
- Begin melting butter in a medium saucepan set over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and allow to melt, stirring often.
- Remove the pan from the heat once about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Stir vigorously until all the marshmallows melt.
- Add the Reese's Minis and stir until melted.
- Pour the cereal into a large mixing bowl. (Spray the bowl to keep the marshmallows from sticking)
- Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir until well blended.
- Spread the cereal mixture into the greased pan.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the cereal treats from the pan and cut intio16 squares.
- Serve and enjoy.
- These treats are best served the day they are made but will keep up to 1 week if stored in an airtight container or zip-top bag.
- You can wrap these treats well and freeze for up to a month. To thaw remove them from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature before opening the bag and removing the treats.
If you love peanut butter cereal treats, be sure to check out these other recipes...
No-Marshmallow Peanut Butter 'n Honey Rice Krispie Treats
Reese's Cup Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats
Please leave a comment.