Making adorably cute Rice Krispie Treat Ghosts for Halloween is super easy using just five ingredients. Your whole family will fall in love with these sweet marshmallow cereal treats.
If you are looking for a simple Halloween dessert to make for kids or adults, this is it!
In about 30 minutes you can make a dozen of these whimsical Rice Krispie Treat Ghosts. You'll start by making white chocolate rice krispie treats then shape them into teardrop-shaped ghosts and simply decorate them using chocolate eyes.
These cuties will make a wonderful dessert for a Halloween party or be a best-selling treat at your holiday bake sale.
Let's make some Ghost Rice Krispie Treats!
You'll start by making white chocolate marshmallow crispy treats. The white chocolate will give the rice crispy treat ghosts the needed white color and will also give the treats structure so they will hold their shape.
White Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Melt salted butter, marshmallows, and white chocolate over LOW heat. It's essential to use low heat so that the marshmallows don't overheat and caramelize and the white chocolate melts slowly.
Then, pour the melted marshmallows over Rice Krispies Cereal and mix until blended.
We always recommend you pour the cereal into a buttered mixing bowl and pour the marshmallows over top. The cereal won't get too hot which can make your Rice Krispie treats soggy and stale-tasting.
Shape the crispy treat ghosts.
Allow the white chocolate marshmallow cereal mixture to cool for a few minutes until it's easy to handle.
Then, divide the mixture into twelve (approximately ½ cup) portions. Use buttered hands to roll the balls into balls and then into cones. Next, pinch the top of the cones to form a point.
Melt about 2 ounces of dark cocoa candy melts and pour them into a small zip-top bag. Snip off the tip and pipe at least 18 teardrop-shaped eyes onto a parchment paper-lined baking tray.
Chill in the freezer for a few minutes just until hardened.
Peel the chocolate eyes off the paper then press two onto each Rice Krispie Treat Ghost. If needed, you can use a bit of chocolate to attach the eyes to the ghosts. Mine stuck to the marshmallows without needing any chocolate.
NOTES: When I tried to pipe chocolate eyes directly onto the crispy treat ghosts they looked messy that's why I made the chocolate eyes and then added them. You can simply press chocolate chips into the ghosts but they won't look as cute.
Rice Krispie Treat Ghosts
- 2 ounces dark cocoa candy melts
- 7 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows
- 6 ounces white candy melts or white chocolate chips
- Melt the dark cocoa candy melts in the microwave using 30 second bursts of high power, stirring after each.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a small zip-top bag and snip off a tip of the bag.
- Pipe 24 small teardrop shaped eyes onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze for about 3 minutes until the chocolate eyes harden.
- Remove and set on the counter until needed.
- Spray a large mixing bowl with baking spray then pour in the Rice Krispies Cereal.
- Set aside.
- Cut butter into small pieces and place them a medium-large saucepan.
- Set the pan over LOW heat.
- Stir in the marshmallows and white chocolate.
- Stir often, until about 75% of the marshmallows and white chocolate have melted.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and stir vigorously until it all melts.
- Pour the melted marshmallows over the cereal and stir until well coated.
- Allow the marshmallow cereal treat mixture to cool for a few minutes until it's cool enough to handle.
- Pinch off twelve (approximately ½ cup) portions of the cooled cereal and roll them into balls.
- Then shape the balls into cones and pinch the top of the cones into points.
- Curve the points to make cute ghosts.
- Press two chocolate eyes onto each of the cereal treats. They should stick to the marshmallows but if they don't you can attach them using some of the remaining melted candy melts.
- Let the ghosts dry at room temperature for about an hour before packaging them in bags or boxes.
More Halloween Rice Krispie Treats
- Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispie Treat Spiders
- Rice Krispie Treat Pumpkins
- Rice Krispie Treat Monsters
Please leave a comment.