These adorable shamrock Rice Krispie Treats will help you celebrate the luck of the Irish. Scroll to the end for printable recipe and video how-tos.
shamrock Rice Krispie treats
Shamrock Rice Krispie Treats are so cute and easy for St. Patrick’s Day! Pack them in lunch boxes, serve during classroom parties, or make them just for fun. Of course, if you’re short on time, these treats don’t need the expressions, but gosh they are leprechaun-adorable.
how to make St. Patrick’s Day treats
Note below that you’ll need a 3-inch shamrock cookie cutter for these green cereal treats!
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray or rub with butter or Crisco. Add 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 4 tablespoons of salted butter and 10 ounces of marshmallows. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir, and microwave for at additional 30 second intervals, if needed. Stir until very smooth.
- Be sure to keep your eye on the marshmallows! They will puff up.
- 10 ounces of marshmallows equals 6 cups of mini marshmallows (usually 1 bag) OR about 40 regular marshmallows.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring and stir well. Add drops of coloring until the desired shade is achieved.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir very well. TIP: I use a spatula coated in cooking spray to make this process easier! Transfer to the prepared baking tray.
- Flatten gently in a rectangle or circle shape (it doesn’t need to be perfect) that is 3/4-inch thick and roughly 10-inches by 12-inches. Chill until well set, about 2 hours. You may put in the fridge to speed things along.
- Use the shamrock cutter to cut out the treats as closely together as possible. You should get 10 to 12 treats.
- If desired, use a tube of black frosting to pipe a smile. Use the frosting to adhere jumbo candy eyes.
supplies you need to make the treats
Check out the video how-tos!
printable Shamrock cereal treats recipe
shamrock rice krispie treats
- cooking spray
- parchment paper
- 3-inch shamrock cookie cutter
- green food coloring
- jumbo candy eyes (optional)
- black tube of icing (optional)
- 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 ounces marshmallows about 40 regular OR 6 cups of mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and add the cereal. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place the marshmallows and butter. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir very well until the mixture is smooth. Add green food coloring and stir. Add additional coloring until desired shade is achieved.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir very well until the cereal is evenly coated. TIP: Spray the spatula with cooking spray for easy mixing.
- Scrape the treats onto the prepared baking tray. Spread and flatten evenly to 3/4-inch thickness. The shape will be about 10-inches by 12-inches.
- Let cool 2 hours.
- Use the shamrock cutter to cut out shamrocks.
- Optional: To decorate the shamrocks, pipe a black smile. Use the black icing to adhere candy eyes. Let set.
more St. Patrick’s Day fun food ideas
- Find a roundup of 30 St. Patrick’s Day food ideas here and 40 rainbow food ideas here.
- Find more awesome St. Patrick’s Day food ideas HERE, including cupcakes, candies, cookies, and more.
- Taste of Home has a green food collection here.
more Rice Krispie Treat ideas
Here are a couple more ideas for St. Patrick’s Day!