Decorate a beautiful (and easy) Rice Krispie treat cake for spring!
Rice Krispie Treat cake
I love this idea for an easy, no-bake dessert: A Rice Krispie Treat “cake.” Simply mold your treats in a cake pan and decorate any way you like for any occasion. These spring flowers would be perfect for Easter, Mother’s Day, or just to make for fun.
Here, I use my never-fail royal icing recipe to decorate the jumbo Rice Krispie treat. I prefer royal icing to decorate two-dimensional designs, as it dries very well. However, you may use any of your favorite icing or frosting recipes. And of course, I start with our best-ever rice krispie treat recipe.
how to make a spring Rice Krispie Treat cake
To make life easier, I spray my all my bowls and spatulas with non-stick canola cooking spray. You can also use coconut oil cooking spray.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray or rub with butter or Crisco. Add 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside. Line a 9-inch cake pan with non-stick foil OR regular foil lightly greased.
- TIP: If you have an 8-inch pan, use that to flatten the foil in the 9-inch cake pan.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 4 tablespoons of salted butter and 10 ounces of marshmallows. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir until very smooth. (Add another 15 seconds if needed, but try and stir first and use the residual heat to fully melt the butter and marshmallows.)
- Be sure to keep your eye on the marshmallows! They will puff up.
- 10 ounces of marshmallows equals 6 cups of mini marshmallows (usually 1 bag) OR about 40 regular marshmallows, although marshmallow density varies with brands, so these are general guidelines.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir gently until the mixture is very well combined.
- Transfer to the prepared cake pan. Grease a spatula with cooking spray, and flatten evenly. You can also use the 8-inch cake pan here to help you flatten the treats.
- Let cool completely, about 2 hours. You may also chill more quickly in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- When ready, decorate your cake!
how to decorate a cereal treat cake
- You may use any of your favorite recipes for icing or frosting. Here I use my royal icing recipe.
- Divide the icing or frosting and tint any colors you prefer. My favorite food coloring is Americolor Soft Gel Paste. Super Black, Red Red, Orange, Egg Yellow, Electric Pink, Leaf Green, Electric Green, and Sky Blue used here. You may use less colors if you wish.
- Assemble disposable decorating bags with couplers and decorating tips (sizes 3 for smaller detail and size 4 for larger spaces). Fill with icing and close tightly with a rubber band.
- Pipe your design and let set.
supplies and ingredients
Here are the specific supplies and ingredients I used to make my Rice Krispie Treats.
spring Rice Krispie Treat cake
- 9-inch cake pan
- non-stick aluminum foil
- cooking spray
- disposable decorating bags
- size 3 and 4 tips
- food coloring
- 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 ounces marshmallows 40 regular OR 6 cups mini
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 batch royal icing
- Line a 9-inch cake pan with non-stick aluminum foil, or with lightly-greased regular foil. Set aside.
- In a large, greased bowl, place the cereal.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place the marshmallows and butter. Heat for 1 minute. Stir very well, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows and butter. Stir until very smooth.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and gently stir to fully combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake pan and press evenly. TIP: Use an 8-inch cake pan to help flatten the treats. Let set for about 2 hours, or 1 hour in the fridge.
- Prepare royal icing, divide, and tint any preferred colors.
- Prepare decorating bags with couplers and tips, fill with your icing, and close tightly with rubber bands.
- Decorate! The icing will fully set overnight.
more awesome cereal treats
You might also like…