Top our BEST Rice Krispie Treats recipe with candy flowers for an easy, fun Spring treat.
Spring Rice Krispie Treats
Looking for a quick and easy (kid-friendly!) treat to make this season? Spring Rice Krispie Treats with M & M flowers are the perfect answer.
We love flowers around here. Check out these flower Rice Krispie Treat pops or this Spring-themed Rice Krispie Treat cake.
To make these treats, start with our best ever Rice Krispie Treat recipe. Prepare a quick icing and create flowers with M&M candies (or any comparable candy).
The recipe here is for an 8 inch square baking pan, but I'll also provide amounts for a 9 x 13 inch pan. Or, if you're making these for a crowd, try our sheet pan Rice Krispie Treats (which will make about 36).
The icing should be plenty for any size batch. If you have leftover, why not try these awesome flower cookies with real strawberries?
more Rice Krispie Treats you'll love
Ingredients and tools
Cereal, of course! Here, I use the original Kellogg's brand cereal.
These cereal treats use 10 ounces of marshmallows (if you are making the small batch). This is about 40 regular size OR 6 cups of mini. However, different brands of marshmallows have different weights and densities.
Kraft's Jet-Puffed are used here.
Check out our marshmallow conversion chart to make sure you're using the correct amount.
Our extensive taste testing revealed a butter winner! We recommend using European-style, SALTED butter for best results.
You may make your own icing OR use store-bought! To make an easy icing, you'll need confectioner's sugar, milk (any kid, even vegan substitutes), pure vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
M & Ms
You'll need a bag of the chocolate candies or any comparable candy. You'll need 6 M&Ms per flower.
The batch shown here is made in an 8 x 8 inch square pan. But you may also make a 9 x 13 inch pan size or even a sheet pan size.
To make life easy, I use non-stick spray on my bowls and spatulas. I suggest a canola oil to minimize interfering in the taste.
You may also grease your baking pan with cooking spray, but I find the best option is to line your baking pan with non-stick foil.
GREEN FOOD COLORING
To tint the icing, any green gel paste food coloring will work. My personal preference is Americolor Soft Gel Paste Electric Green.
To decorate with the icing, I suggest using a 12-inch disposable decorating bag.
spring Rice Krispie Treats
- Green gel paste food coloring (Americolor brand recommended)
- non-stick foil
- 8 x 8 inch square pan (instructions for 9 x 13 inch pan follow)
- disposable decorating bag
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, European style recommended
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular size or 6 cups mini)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, any variety
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- I recommend spraying your bowls and spatulas with cooking spray.
- Line your baking pan with non-stick foil, or lightly-sprayed regular foil.
- Add the Rice Krispies to a large, greased bowl and set aside.
- Melt the 4 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan, Add the marshmallows, reduce heat to medium-low, stirring, and remove from heat when marshmallows are almost melted. Stir until the mixture is very smooth, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows.
- Alternatively, melt the butter and marshmallows in the microwave in a large bowl. Heat for one minute and stir well, using the residual heat to fully melt the mixture.
- Scrape the marshmallow and butter mixture into the cereal and use a spatula to fold the mixture into the cereal until it's completely blended.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Use a clean spatula to gently press the treats evenly into the baking dish.
- Let the dish cool very well and cut into pieces about 1 ½ inches by 2 ½ inches, or desired size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing by mixing the sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt in a bowl with a whisk. Start with 3 tablespoons milk and add more as needed to desired consistency. To thicken, add confectioner's sugar. The consistency should be thick enough to keep its shape but not so thick it's hard to pipe.
- Tint green and transfer some icing to the decorating bag, closing tightly with a rubber band. Snip the tip.
- Use dabs of icing to adhere the M & Ms in a flower. Pipe the stem and leaves. Let dry several hours.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces marshmallows
- 7 cups Rice Krispies
Please leave a comment.