Kids of all ages will fall in love with these fruit-flavored Trix Treats and you'll love how easy they are to make.
Grab some cereal, butter, and marshmallows, and whip up these treats in about 10 minutes.
Trix Cereal Bars
I've had so much fun using our BEST rice krispie treat recipe to make cereal treats using a variety of kid's cereals.
This time I chose to toss fruit-flavored Trix Cereal into the mix.
These marshmallow cereal bars are brightly colored and are bursting with raspberry, lemon, orange, wildberry, grape, and watermelon flavors.
This recipe is quick and easy to make using just three ingredients.
Have questions about making cereal treats? Check out our FAQ page. (Or leave a comment and we'll be happy to help!)
You can see all of the Kid's Cereal Treat Recipes, here.
how to make Trix Treats
you will need:
- In 2018 General Mills brought back the fruit-shaped Trix cereal It's hard to say when or if they will sell the round fruit-flavored corn puffs again, but if they do, you can use them too.
- Both types of Trix cereal have a mix of raspberry red, lemony lemon, orangey orange, wildberry blue, “grapity” purple, and watermelon cereal.
- You'll need 10 ounces of marshmallows.
- While different brands weigh slightly differently, this is about 40 regular-size OR 6 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Use a scale or the measurement on the bag as a guide.
- We have found that salted European-style butter works best in our cereal treats. You'll be amazed at the difference good butter will make in this recipe.
- We recommend using KeriGold or President Butter. Kroger Private Selection French-style Butter is great too.
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED:
- 9-inch baking pan
- butter or cooking spray to grease your pan (I prefer the flavor of butter, but the non-stick spray works too.)
buy ingredients & supplies
You can find the ingredients and supplies to make these Trix marshmallow cereal treats from Amazon. I earn a small commission for any sales when you use the links below at NO extra cost to you.
Let's make some Trix Cereal Treats...
step one: prep your equipment
- Grease a large mixing bowl, your square 8-inch or 9-inch pan, and a silicone spatula with softened butter or spray with baking spray.
- Pour 7 cups of Trix cereal into the bowl.
step two: melt the butter and marshmallows
- Cut 4 tablespoons of European-style salted butter into 4 pieces.
- Place in a medium saucepan and set over low heat.
- Allow the butter to begin melting, then stir in 10 ounces of marshmallows.
- Continue to heat over low heat, stirring often, until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and stir the marshmallows vigorously, smashing them as needed, until melted.
alternate microwave method:
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 4 tablespoons of salted butter and 10 ounces of marshmallows.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and stir vigorously, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows.
- If needed, you may microwave for additional 15-second intervals, stirring vigorously until melted.
- DO NOT overheat the marshmallows as this causes your cereal treats to be too hard.
step three: mix everything together
- Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the Trix Cereal in the bowl.
step four: spread into pan
- Stir gently until all of the cereal is coated evenly.
- Spread the cereal treat mixture into the greased pan and gently press it into an even layer.
- Let cool at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Cut into squares.
- large mixing bowl
- 8-inch or 9-inch square pan
- medium saucepan or medium microwave-safe bowl
- 7 cups Trix Cereal
- 4 tablespoons European-style Salted Butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- Grease a large mixing bowl, an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan, and a large silicone spatula with butter or baking spray.
- Pour the Trix cereal into the mixing bowl.
- Set aside.
- Begin melting the butter in a medium-large saucepan set over low heat.
- Toss in the marshmallows and stir occasionally until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and continuously stir, smashing the marshmallows, allowing them to melt until smooth.
- Pour the melted marshmallows over top of the cereal.
- Toss to coat evenly.
- Gently press into the prepared pan.
- Let cool for about an hour before cutting into 16 squares.
Heat the butter and marshmallows on high power, in a large mixing bowl, for 1 minute.
Remove and stir vigorously until melted, smashing the marshmallows to help them melt.
If needed, heat for additional 15 second increments, stirring vigorously after each, until melted and smooth.
Pour over cereal, mix to combine, spread into pan, and allow to cool before cutting.
more fruit-flavored cereal treats recipes