Blend alphabet-shaped cereal with melted butter and marshmallows to create fun cereal treats for an after-school snack.
Making Alpha-Bits Marshmallow Cereal Bars is so easy using just 3 ingredients. Kids of all ages will love making and eating these treats.
Making marshmallow cereal treats using a variety of kid's cereals has been so much fun.
I always start by using our Best Rice Krispie Treat recipe as a guide, but when using cereal with larger pieces, I always need to adjust the ratio of cereal to melted marshmallows.
Starting with the best-tasting European-style salted butter and fresh marshmallows is the key to making these Alpha-Bits cereal treats taste great!
Our original recipe calls for a ratio of 4 ⅔ cups of cereal to 10 ounces of marshmallows.
We had to add 8 cups of the Alpha-Bits Cereal because the pieces are much larger than the tiny puffs of Rice Krispies Cereal.
The treats are still nice and chewy but they aren't overly sticky.
You might also like Cheerios Crispy Treats or Cap'n Crunch Marshmallow Treats.
Have questions about making cereal treats? Check out our FAQ page. (Or leave a comment and we'll be happy to help!)
You can see more recipe ideas for using a variety of cereal to make Cereal Treat Recipes, here.
how to make Alpha-Bits Crispy Treats
you will need:
- Alphabet-shaped, frosted multi-grain cereal made from whole-grain oat and corn flour.
- You'll need 10 ounces of marshmallows.
- Always use the freshest marshmallows you have on hand. Fresh marshmallows make more delicately chewy treats.
- While different brands of marshmallows weigh slightly differently, you can usually use 40 regular-size OR 6 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Use a scale or the measurement on the bag as a guide.
- We have found that European-style salted butter provides the best flavor in our cereal treats recipes. You'll be amazed at the difference good butter will make in this recipe.
- We recommend using KeriGold or President Butter. Kroger Private Selection French-style Butter is great too.
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED:
- 9x13-inch baking pan
- large mixing bowl
- silicone spatula or large mixing spoon
- butter or cooking spray to grease your pan, bowl, and spatula (I prefer the flavor of butter, but the non-stick spray works too.)
buy ingredients & supplies
You can find the ingredients and supplies to make these Alpha-Bits marshmallow cereal treats from Amazon. I earn a small commission for any sales when you use the links below at NO extra cost to you.
Let's make some Alpha-Bits Cereal Bars...
step one: prep your equipment
- Grease a large mixing bowl, a 9x13-inch pan, and a silicone spatula with softened butter or spray with baking spray.
- Pour 8 cups of Alpha-Bits Cereal into the bowl.
step two: melt the butter and marshmallows
- Cut 4 tablespoons of European-style salted butter into 4 pieces.
- Place in a medium saucepan and set over low heat.
- Using low heat is important. It will allow your marshmallows to melt slowly and not overheat.
- If you overheat your marshmallows, the sugars in the marshmallows will begin to caramelize so when you blend them with the cereal they will produce hard treats instead of chewy treats.
- Allow the butter to begin melting, then stir in 10 ounces of marshmallows.
- I prefer using mini marshmallows as they melt quickly but you can use traditional large marshmallows as well.
- Just be sure to stir them often, so they don't overheat.
- Continue to heat over low heat, stirring often, until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and stir the marshmallows vigorously, smashing them as needed, until melted.
- By taking the pan off the stove at this point, you will ensure your marshmallows don't overheat and stay nice and soft.
- It may take a minute of stirring before all the marshmallows melt. Just keep stirring and smashing. You'll thank me when you have delicately chewy treats that are easy to eat.
alternate microwave method:
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 4 tablespoons of salted butter and 10 ounces of marshmallows.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute then remove and stir vigorously, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows.
- Once again, you don't want to overheat the marshmallows as this causes your cereal treats to be too hard.
- You need to use a large mixing bowl when melting the marshmallows in the microwave as the marshmallows will puff up a lot.
- If needed, you may microwave for additional 15-second intervals, stirring vigorously until melted.
step three: mix everything together
- Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the Alpha-Bits Cereal in the bowl.
- Stir gently until all of the cereal is coated evenly.
step four: spread into pan
- Spread the cereal treat mixture into the greased pan and gently press it into an even layer.
- Let the pan of treats cool at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Remove from the pan and cut into squares.
Did you make this recipe or have questions? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below.
See more fun crispy treat recipes below the recipe card.
Alpha-Bits Marshmallow Cereal Bars
- 9 x 13 inch baking pan
- medium-large saucepan
- large mixing bowl
- 4 tablespoons European-style salted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 1 12-ounce box Alpha-Bits Cereal (8 cups)
- Grease a large mixing bowl, an 9 by 13-inch rectangle pan, and a large silicone spatula with butter or baking spray.
- Pour the Alpha-Bits Cereal into the mixing bowl.
- Set aside.
- Begin melting the butter in a medium-large saucepan set over low heat.
- Toss in the marshmallows and stir occasionally until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir vigorously, smashing the marshmallows, allowing them to melt until smooth.
- Pour the melted marshmallows over top of the Alpha-Bits cereal.
- Toss to coat evenly.
- Gently press the cereal mixture into the prepared pan.
- Let cool for about an hour before cutting into 24 squares.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Microwave Directions:
- Heat the butter and marshmallows on high power, in a large mixing bowl, for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir vigorously until melted, smashing the marshmallows to help them melt.
- If needed, heat for additional 15-second increments, stirring vigorously after each, until melted and smooth.
- Pour over cereal then follow the instructions above.
more cereal bar recipes
Cocoa Puffs Marshmallow Cereal Bars
Single Serving Rice Krispie Treat in a Mug
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Treats
Neapolitan Rice Krispie Treats
Please leave a comment.