Want to learn how to shape Rice Krispie treats? You can create any design you like!
Rice Krispie Treat shapes
Rice Krispie Treats are a wonderful, delicious canvas to create shapes and designs.
Here, we take our classic, award-winning best Rice Crispy Treat recipe and show you how to cut out shapes to decorate.
Here are some examples of cut-out Rice Krispie treats.
How do you cut Rice Krispie Treats into Shapes?
First, prepare Rice Krispie Treat sheets.
Second, press your cookie cutter firmly into the treats. Wiggle the cookie cutter and lift the treat from the tray.
TIPS for cookie cutter Rice Krispie Treats
- Choose metal cookie cutters with firm edges.
- Use cookie cutters between 2 and 4 inches.
- Do NOT choose cookie cutters with detailed edges. Choose shapes that are more block-like. You don’t have the precision of cookie dough.
- Place shapes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Sheet Pan Rice Krispie Treats
- Large sauce pan
- Large bowl or roasting pan
- non-stick foil
- Half sheet baking tray (about 12 inches by 18 inches)
- non-stick spray
- 8 tablespoons salted European-style butter (1 stick)
- 20 ounces marshmallows (about 80 regular or 12 cups mini)
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Line a baking tray with non-stick foil and set aside.
- Spray a large bowl or roasting pan with non-stick spray. Add the Rice Krispies.
- Cut up the butter begin to melt in the large saucepan set over medium-low heat.
- Add the marshmallows. Stir frequently until most of the marshmallows have melted. Remove from heat and stir until the mixture is very smooth and the marshmallows are fully melted.
- With spatulas that have been sprayed with cooking spray, pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir very well.
- When the mixture is combined, transfer to the baking tray. Flatten evenly to fill the entire baking tray.
- Let set very well, at least an hour. Cut into squares OR use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
- 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons salted European butter
How do you make a smaller batch of Rice Krispie Treat shapes?
Our recipe card includes instructions to halve the crispy treats.
How to Shape Rice Krispie Treats
After the Rice Krispie Treat mixture cools to the touch, you can also mold Rice Krispie Treats into shapes with your hands.
Spray your hands with cooking spray OR lightly wet with water to avoid sticking.
Place shapes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
How do you decorate Rice Krispie Treats?
To decorate Rice Krispie Treats, I recommend using
How do you color icing?
Sugar cookie icing is used here, which is a combination of 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, 4 tablespoons milk, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
To color icing, divide the icing into bowls and add drops of gel paste food coloring to desired shade.
My recommendation is Americolor Soft Gel Pastes
How do you pipe frosting?
To keep things simple, I didn’t bother with couplers and decorating tips. I simply filled disposable decorating bags with the icing, closed tightly with rubber bands, and snipped just a bit off the tips.
Hold the bag in your dominant hand. Guide the icing bag as you squeeze and pipe the icing with your non-dominant hand.
Let the icing set very well, several hours to overnight.