The clever elf sure makes his way around at Christmas. Here he is on your dessert tray! Kids (and their grown-ups) will love these Elf on the Shelf Cereal Treats.
Elf on the Shelf Cereal Treats
Next time you head to the supermarket cereal aisle, keep your eye out for some Elf on the Shelf Sugar Cookie Cereal with marshmallows, "The Official Cereal of the North Pole."
This seasonal cereal from Kellogg's® is so colorful and festive, we just had to add treats to our kids' cereal treat collection.
Start with our BEST ever, three-ingredient, award-winning Rice Krispie Treat recipe and swap out the cereal, tweak the amounts, and you have a fun, no-bake treat for Christmas.
More Christmas Rice Krispie Treats
You need only three ingredients! These cereal treats couldn't be easier to make.
- Kellogg's® Special Edition Red and Green Color Mix Rice Krispies - Head to the supermarket to find this seasonal flavor.
- butter - We recommend using salted European-style butter (with a higher butterfat content than American-made butter). It will give your treats the very best flavor. See our taste test results for more information. The salt in the butter helps to balance out the sweetness of the cereal and marshmallows.
- marshmallows - We recommend using Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows. Some store-brand marshmallows may have different textures and weights. You can use mini or large marshmallows. See our marshmallow conversion chart for details about measuring marshmallows.
- extra-large mixing bowl - You want to use a bowl that allows you room to mix the cereal and marshmallows together.
- medium-large saucepan -If you're making treats on the stove-top, you'll need a sauce pan.
- microwave-safe bowl -- To make the treats in the microwave, you'll need a large bowl.
- 8-inch or 9-inch baking pan - The latter size will produce thinner treats. (I'll also provide instructions for making the treats in a 9 x 13 inch pan.)
- non-stick foil -- While you may line your baking pan with parchment or grease the pan, the foil (and parchment) allows you to lift the treats easily from the pan for cutting.
- non-stick cooking spray -- I find spraying bowls and spatulas makes everything so much easier. (You may also use additional butter to grease.)
- silicone spatula - Grease your spatulas so mixing is easy!
Line a square baking pan with non-stick foil OR grease well with cooking spray or additional butter.
Place 6 cups of cereal in a large, greased bowl.
If melting on the stove-top:
Start to melt 4 tablespoons butter in the saucepan over low heat.
Add 10 ounces of marshmallows (about 40 regular size or 6 cups mini) and melt, stirring occasionally, until about 75 percent melted. Remove from the heat and stir until fully melted and smooth.
If melting in the microwave:
Add the marshmallows and butter to the greased, microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute. Let sit a couple minutes and then stir very well until fully melted and smooth.
Mix everything together.
Pour over the cereal and blend very well with a greased spatula.
Transfer to the prepared baking pan and gently flatten evenly. Let set well, 1 to 2 hours.
Do NOT overheat the marshmallows! This will cause your treats to become hard.
We recommend pouring the hot marshmallows over the cereal instead of the cereal into the hot bowl. This helps with the consistency of the treats.
Cereal treats will taste best the day they are made but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
To keep them longer, you can freeze them in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to 3 months.
Elf on the Shelf Cereal Treats
- large bowl
- saucepan OR microwave-safe bowl
- 8 OR 9-inch baking pan
- non-stick cooking spray (may also use additional butter)
- non-stick foil (may also use cooking spray, butter, or parchment paper)
- 6 cups Elf on the Shelf sugar cookie cereal
- 4 ounces salted, European-style butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular OR 6 cups mini)
- Line a square baking pan with non-stick foil OR grease well with cooking spray or additional butter.
- Place cereal in a large, greased bowl.
- If preparing on the stovetop, start to melt butter in the saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and melt, stirring occasionally, until about 75 percent melted. Remove from the heat and stir until fully melted and smooth.
- If using the microwave, add the marshmallows and butter to the greased, microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute. Let sit a couple minutes and then stir very well until fully melted and smooth.
- Pour over the cereal and blend very well with a greased spatula.
- Transfer to the prepared baking pan and gently flatten evenly. Let set well, 1 to 2 hours and cut into 16 squares.