These little, bite-size heart Rice Krispie treats are perfect for Valentine’s Day. Scroll to the end for video how-tos and a printable recipe.
heart Rice Krispie Treats
I’m in love with these little heart Rice Krispie Treats. Minutes to make and cute as can be.
Package these heart Rice Krispie treats in little cello bags with ribbons for a Valentine’s Day classroom party snack. You can even print tags that say “It’s a real TREAT being your friend.” Or, make some just for fun to have around the house.
how to make Valentine’s Day heart Rice Krispie Treats
The instructions below are for both pink and red heart Rice Krispie Treats. You can always double the recipe and make just one color, too. You’ll also find stove-top instructions below.
- Spray two large bowl with cooking spray or rub with butter or Crisco. Add 2 1/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Lightly grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 2 tablespoons of salted butter and 5 ounces of marshmallows. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir, and microwave for at additional 30 second intervals, if needed. Stir until very smooth.
- Be sure to keep your eye on the marshmallows! They will puff up.
- 5 ounces of marshmallows equals 3 cups of mini marshmallows (usually 1/2 a bag) OR about 20 regular marshmallows.
- Stir a few drops of Americolor Soft Gel Paste Electric Pink food coloring into the marshmallow mixture and stir very well.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir gently until the mixture is very well combined.
- Transfer to the prepared baking tray. Grease a spatula with cooking spray (or Crisco or butter) and flatten into a rough circle or rectangle. The treats should take up just less than half of the tray and be 3/4-inch thick.
- Repeat the above instructions using Americolor Soft Gel Paste Red Red food coloring and spread on the other half of the baking tray.
- Let the treats set very well, about 2 hours. (You may chill in the fridge to move things along.)
- When ready, use a 2-inch heart cutter to cut out shapes as closely as possible. You will have about 32 hearts total, 16 of each color.
supplies and ingredients to make Rice Krispie Treats
Here are the specific supplies and ingredients I used to make my Baby Yoda Rice Krispie Treats.
how do you make Rice Krispie Treats on the stove-top?
These heart Rice Krispie treats are microwaved, but you may of course also make the treats on the stove top.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and add the marshmallows. Continue to melt over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is very smooth.
Add your food coloring and then pour the mixture over the Rice Krispies cereal in the bowl and follow the rest of the heart cereal treat instructions.
check out this video to make heart cereal treats
printable heart Rice Krispie Treats recipe
heart Rice Krispie Treats
- Red gel paste food coloring
- Pink gel paste food coloring
- 2-inch heart cookie cutter
- baking tray
- parchment paper
- cooking spray
- 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows 40 regular OR 6 cups mini marshmallows
- Grease two large bowls and two microwave-safe bowls with cooking spray or butter or Crisco. Line a baking tray with lightly-greased parchment paper and set aside.
- Place 2 1/3 cups Rice Krispie treats in each off the two large bowls. Place 2 tablespoons butter and 5 ounces marshmallows (20 regular OR 3 cups mini) in each of the microwave-safe bowls.
- Work with one batch at a time. Place a bowl of marshmallows and butter in the microwave. Microwave on high for 1 minutes. Keep your eye on the marshmallows, as they will puff up. Stir with a greased spatula very well until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir a few drops of pink food coloring into the marshmallow mixture very well.
- Transfer the pink marshmallow mixture to one of the large bowls with Rice Krispies. Stir very well. Scrape onto the baking tray.
- Flatten the treats into a rectangle or circle (it doesn't need to be precise) on half of the baking tray. You won't fill the entire half of the tray. The cereal treats should be about 3/4-inch thick.
- Repeat the above steps with red food coloring and flatten on the other half of the baking tray.
- Let the treats set very well, about 2 hours. You may chill in the refrigerator, if you wish.
- When set, cut out mini hearts.
more easy Valentine’s Day treats
- Kids will love healthy Valentine’s Day fruit.
- Try some easy heart day fudge emoji!
- Chocolate-covered pretzels are covered in festive sprinkles.
more awesome Rice Krispie Treats