Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats are a delicious, easy, gooey, chocolatey treat.
Three ingredients are combined in just the right amount for perfect results.
Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats
Using our ultimate Rice Krispie Treat recipe as a guide, these Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats are just as perfect! Cocoa Rice Krispies, marshmallows, and butter combine to create the most delicious treat ever.
Parties, lunch boxes, after-school snacks, or desserts, you can't go wrong with this classic cereal treat.
After taste-tasting too many treats to count, we found the best proportions and methods of making the BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
This easy, no-bake recipe is a hit every time.
Follow the link to find tons of tips and tricks to make cereal treats. Below, you'll find the how-tos to make cocoa Rice Krispie Treats, along with video how-tos and suggestions for making a smaller batch.
By the way, if chocolate is your jam, you MUST try double chocolate Rice Krispie Treats, too.
how to make Cocoa Krispies Treats
You'll only need three ingredients! Cocoa Krispies cereal, marshmallows (either mini or regular), and butter! If you'd like to add an extra punch of chocolatey goodness, you can add a bit of cocoa powder.
tools you'll need:
- 9 x 13-inch baking pan OR 8-inch square baking pan (instructions for both are below)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Non-stick foil
ingredients you'll need
For 9 x 13 inch Cocoa Krispies treats, you'll need 16 ounces of marshmallows. (That's about 68 regular-sized marshmallows OR just over 9 cups of mini marshmallows.)c
To make 8 x 8-inch treats, you'll need 10 ounces of marshmallows. (That's about 40 regular-size marshmallows OR 6 cups of mini.)
Find more information on how many marshmallows to use, including information on store-bought brands and vegan marshmallows, check out our marshmallow conversion page.
Our taste tester much preferred our Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats with salted, European-style butter. You'll need 6 tablespoons for the larger pan and 4 tablespoons if making the smaller pan of treats.
Of course, you'll need Cocoa Krispies cereal. A large batch requires 7 cups of the cereal, and a smaller batch uses 4 ⅔ cups.
COCOA POWDER (optional)
For a boost of chocolate flavor, mix in 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder for the larger size pan and 1 tablespoon smaller size pan.
let's make cocoa krispies treats!
TIP: Spray your bowls and spatulas with non-stick cooking spray to make things easier.
step one: prepare
Either grease your baking pan (9 x 13 inches OR 8-inch square) with nonstick spray or line the pan with non-stick foil and set aside.
Pour your Cocoa Krispies into a bowl.
step two: microwave
To microwave the Rice Krispie Treats, place the marshmallows and salted butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir the mixture. If needed, microwave for another 30 seconds.
Use residual heat to fully melt the mixture. The mixture should be very smooth. Watch the microwave closely, so the marshmallows don't spill from the bowl as they puff up.
alternative step two: stove-top
To make on the stove-top, place the ingredients in a sauce pan over medium-low heat until the marshmallows are about 75 percent melted.
Remove from heat and stir well to completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
OPTIONAL: Add cocoa powder and stir well at this step.
step three: mix it together
Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir with a spatula until well-mixed.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Use a clean spatula to gently press the treats evenly into the baking dish. Let the dish cool very well and cut into two-inch squares.
how many marshmallows do I use to make Rice Krispie Treats?
You may use either regular-size marshmallows or mini marshmallows. Bags of marshmallows come in 10 ounces, 12 ounces, and 16 ounces, so it's useful to have these measurements to make any size batch you like with what you have on hand. I prefer to use a kitchen scale, but if you don't own one, here is what we've found:
If using regular-size marshmallows
(I recommend Jet-Puffed marshmallows.)
- 16 ounces is about 68 regular-size marshmallows
- 10 ounces is about 40 marshmallows
If using mini marshmallows
- 16 ounces is just over 9 cups of mini marshmallows
- 10 ounces is 6 cups of mini marshmallows
TIP: The above measurements are based on using "Jet-Puffed" brand marshmallows. Different brands have slightly different weights, so this is just a general guide.
- 7-8 marshmallows = 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- There are approximately 40-48 marshmallows in a 10 ounce bag and 64-70 in a 16 ounce bag.
check out this video on how to make cocoa Rice Krispie cereal treats
printable Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats recipe
Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats
- 16 ounces marshmallows about 68 regular or 9 cups of mini, Jet-Puffed brand recommended
- 7 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies cereal Kellogg's brand recommended
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder OPTIONAL
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or line with non-stick foil. Set aside
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place the marshmallows and butter. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir, and microwave for an additional minute. Be sure to watch the microwave so the mixture does not puff up too high and spill. If needed, microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Mixture should be very smooth.
- Alternatively, melt the marshmallows in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
- If desired, stir in cocoa powder.
- Scrape the mixture into a large bowl with the cereal. Fold the mixture with the cereal to completely coat the cereal.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish, using a clean spatula to press the cereal treats evenly in the dish.
- Let cool completely about 2 hours. Cut into 2-inch square.
This recipe for Cocoa Krispie Treats was originally published in June 2019 and updated in February 2022.
more Rice Krispie Treats recipes
These treats had great texture and flavor. Thanks for the recipe.
These treats were perfectly sweet, nicely chewy, yet crispy. I love the ratio of ingredients. I've tried other recipes that were either too sticky and sweet or too hard. these were perfect!
OMG, these Cocoa Krispie Treats were amazing!! They are so chocolatey. And, they are nice and soft. Thanks for the tip about only melting the marshmallows partway. That really worked beautifully.
Thank you so much Cheryl! It makes such a big difference to only melt partway. Otherwise they can be way too tough. So glad they worked for you!