Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats are a delicious, easy, snack and treat in one. Three ingredients are combined in just the right amount for perfect results.
Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats
Using our ultimate Rice Krispie Treat recipe as a guide, these Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats are just as perfect! Cocoa Rice Krispies, marshmallows, and butter combine to create the most delicious treat ever.
Parties, lunch boxes, after-school snacks, or desserts, you can’t go wrong with this classic cereal treat.
After taste-tasting too many treats to count, we found the best proportions and methods of making the BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
This easy, no-bake recipe is a hit every time.
Follow the link to find tons of tips and tricks to make cereal treats. Below, you’ll find the how-tos to make cocoa Rice Krispie Treats, along with video how-tos and suggestions for making a smaller batch.
how to make Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats
You’ll only need three ingredients! Cocoa Krispies cereal, marshmallows (either mini or regular), and butter!
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter. I prefer to take a softened pat of butter and place it on a paper towel to spread around the pan. Be sure to cover the bottom and sides.
- Note: Directions for making this Rice Krispie treats recipe in an 8-inch square pan are below.
- To microwave the Rice Krispie Treats, place 16 ounces of marshmallows and 6 tablespoons of salted butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir the mixture and microwave for another minute. The mixture should be very smooth. Watch the microwave closely, so the marshmallows don’t spill from the bowl as they puff up. If needed, continue to microwave at 30 second intervals.
- To make on the stove-top, place the ingredients in a sauce pan over medium-low heat until the marshmallows are completely melted and the mixture is smooth, stirring frequently.
- See below for tips on how many marshmallows, regular or mini, to use to equal 16 ounces.
- Have ready 7 cups of Cocoa Rice Krispie cereal in a very large bowl. Scrape the marshmallow and butter mixture into the cereal and use a spatula to fold the mixture into the cereal until it’s completely blended.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Use a clean spatula to gently press the treats evenly into the baking dish. Let the dish cool very well and cut into two-inch squares.
how do I make a smaller batch of Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats?
To make a smaller batch of these cereal treats, grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Use a combination of 10 ounces marshmallows, 4 tablespoons salted butter, and 4 2/3 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal.
how many marshmallows do I use to make Rice Krispie Treats?
You may use either regular-size marshmallows or mini marshmallows. Bags of marshmallows come in 10 ounces, 12 ounces, and 16 ounces, so it’s useful to have these measurements to make any size batch you like with what you have on hand. I prefer to use a kitchen scale, but if you don’t own one, here is what we’ve found:
If using regular-size marshmallows
(I recommend Jet-Puffed marshmallows.)
- 16 ounces is about 68 regular-size marshmallows
- 10 ounces is about 40 marshmallows
If using mini marshmallows
- 16 ounces is just over 9 cups of mini marshmallows
- 10 ounces is 6 cups of mini marshmallows
TIP: The above measurements are based on using “Jet-Puffed” brand marshmallows. Different brands have slightly different weights, so this is just a general guide.
- 7-8 marshmallows = 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- There are approximately 40-48 marshmallows in a 10 ounce bag and 64-70 in a 16 ounce bag.
check out this video on how to make cocoa Rice Krispie cereal treats
printable Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats recipe
Cocoa Rice Krispie Treats
- 16 ounces marshmallows about 68 regular or 9 cups of mini, Jet-Puffed brand recommended
- 7 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies cereal Kellogg's brand recommended
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- Grease a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Set aside
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place the marshmallows and butter. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir, and microwave for an additional minute. Be sure to watch the microwave so the mixture does not puff up too high and spill. If needed, continue to microwave at 30 second intervals.
- Alternatively, melt the marshmallows in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
- Scrape the mixture into a large bowl with the cereal. Fold the mixture with the cereal to completely coat the cereal.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish, using a clean spatula to press the cereal treats evenly in the dish.
- Let cool completely about 2 hours. Cut into 2-inch square.
pin for later
more Rice Krispie Treats recipes