Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats are a perfect holiday dessert idea to gift (or just to eat!)
You can’t beat a no-bake, 3-ingredient treat during the busiest time of the year.
peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
Just the right amount of peppermint combined with delicious Rice Krispie treats and a drizzle of chocolate, peppermint Rice Krispie Treats is a winning recipe this season.
We start with our BEST ever, award-winning Rice Krispie Treat recipe, add a bit of pretty pink and a splash of peppermint, and top it with white chocolate and crushed candies.
You’ll want to make them all year long!
how to make peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
you will need:
RICE KRISPIES CEREAL
Use the classic cereal or any store-brand version.
You will need 10 ounces of marshmallows. Different brands have different densities, so it’s best to use a scale or the weight printed on the bag as a guide, but in general, 10 ounces of marshmallows is 40 regular size OR 6 cups of mini.
Don’t have a scale? Is your bag of marshmallows a different size or brand? No problem! Check out our MARSHMALLOW GUIDE to determine exactly how many marshmallows you’ll need.
For best results, we recommend using European-style, salted butter. European butter has a higher butterfat content, so your treats will be richer and creamier.
Choose any color of gel paste food coloring you like. My preference is the Americolor Soft Gel Paste brand. Electric Pink is used here.
Tinting your treats is OPTIONAL! I’ve also made this recipe using regular cereal and they are just as pretty.
We recommend using pure peppermint extract for the best flavor, and not peppermint flavoring or imitation extract. Do not use mint extract.
You’ll need about 10 pieces of the classic red and white peppermint candies. You may also substitute 5 or 6 candy canes.
For the drizzle on top, I melted Nestle-brand white morsels. You may use any preferred chocolate, including semi-sweet or milk chocolate.
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED:
- cooking spray
- 8 or 9-inch square baking pan
- disposable decorating bag or freezer-grade Ziploc
SUPPLIES AND INGREDIENTS
let’s make cereal treats!
TIP: Grease your spatulas and bowls with cooking spray for no-trouble treats!
step one: Prepare your Rice Krispie Treats
Use cooking spray to grease an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
Place 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal in a large, greased bowl. Set aside.
In a microwave-safe bowl, place 10 ounces of marshmallows (this is about 40 regular or 6 cups of mini) and 4 tablespoons of butter, cut in pieces.
Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir the mixture, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows. You may need an additional 15 seconds in the microwave.
The mixture will reduce in size and be very smooth.
Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract and a few drops of pink food coloring.
Using a greased spatula, scrape the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and combine very well.
Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly.
Let set very well, at least an hour. To cool more quickly, chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Cut into 16 squares.
step two: Decorate your Rice Krispie Treats
Place 10 unwrapped Starlight candies in a ziplock bag. On a cutting board with a mallet or rolling pin, crush the candies and set aside.
In a microwave-safe bowl, place 3/4 cup white chocolate morsels. Heat at 70 percent power for 1 minutes. Let rest about 30 seconds and stir well, using the residual heat to fully melt the chocolate.
When the chocolate is cool to the touch, transfer to the disposable decorating bag. You may also use a freezer-grade ziplock and snip the tip.
Pipe to drizzle chocolate on each square and immediately top with crushed candies.
Let the chocolate set well and enjoy!
how do I make peppermint Rice Krispie Treats on the stove-top?
Easy peasy! Instead of microwaving the marshmallows and butter you may also melt on the stove-top.
Start to melt the butter in a medium-large saucepan. Add the marshmallows and stir over low heat until the marshmallows are about 75 % melted.
Remove from heat and continue to stir, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows.
Stir in the peppermint extract and food coloring, and follow the steps above.
peppermint treats recipe
peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- cooking spray
- Pink gel paste food coloring
- 8 or 9 inch square baking pan
- disposable decorating bag or freezer-grade ziplock
- 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular or 6 cups mini)
- 4 tablespoons European salted butter (cut into pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 cups white chocolate morsels
- 10 Starlight candy mints
- Use cooking spray to grease an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
- Place 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal in a large, greased bowl. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place marshmallows and butter, cut in pieces.
- Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir the mixture, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows. You may need an additional 15 seconds in the microwave. The mixture will reduce in size and be very smooth.
- Stir in peppermint extract and a few drops of pink food coloring.
- Using a greased spatula, scrape the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and combine very well.
- Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Let set very well, at least an hour. To cool more quickly, chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 16 squares.
more peppermint dessert ideas
If peppermint is your jam, here are more delicious recipes.
more cereal treats
You might also love…