These pistachio Rice Krispie Treats are buttery, nutty, and delicious!
Pistachio Rice Krispie Treats
For a new twist on the classic recipe, try Pistachio Rice Krispie Treats! Made with pistachio pudding mix, chopped pistachios and almond extract, the flavors are exquisite.
And these no-bake desserts are so easy to make with just a few ingredients.
Want to try more pudding Rice Krispie Treats? Check out our Banana Pudding Cereal Treats.
more pistachio dessert ideas
more cereal treats you'll love
How to make pistachio pudding Rice Crispy Treats
You need only a few ingredients and tools.
Rice Krispies Cereal -- We usually recommend using the classic Kellogg's brand for the best flavor and texture.
Butter -- After extensive taste testing, we found that salted European-style better makes these the best Rice Krispie Treats ever.
Marshmallows -- We recommend using Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows because they produce perfectly chewy treats.
Different brands have different textures and weights. See our marshmallow conversion chart for details about measuring marshmallows.
Pistachio instant pudding mix -- You'll use ½ a 3.4 ounce package of Jell-O instant pudding mix. (For more intense flavor, add the whole package!)
Pure Almond Extract -- For even more flavor, add a bit of almond extract.
Pistachios -- You'll need shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped. If you prefer the taste of sweet and salt, lightly salted works. Otherwise, stick to unsalted.
TOOLS you'll need:
Green food coloring -- Food coloring is optional, but it does add a fun color to your treats. I recommend Americolor Soft Gel Paste in Leaf Green.
Extra large mixing bowl -- It's best to have room to mix the cereal with the marshmallow mixture.
Medium sauce pan OR large microwave-safe bowl -- You may melt the butter and marshmallows either on the stove-top or the microwave.
8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan -- I prefer the smaller size for thicker treats.
Non-stick cooking spray and non-stick foil --It helps to spray your pan, bowls, and spatulas with cooking spray. You may also line the baking pan with non-stick foil.
Coarsely chop the pistachios.
Add the Rice Krispies to a greased, large bowl. Mix in the pistachios.
TIP: Save some pistachios to sprinkle on top of the treats, if desired.
To make Rice Krispie Treats on the stove-top:
Start to melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and heat, stirring frequently, until almost all of the marshmallows have melted.
Remove from the heat and stir well until very smooth.
To make Rice Krispie Treats in the microwave:
Place the marshmallows and butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
Heat for 1 minute and let sit for a couple minutes. Stir very well until smooth and melted. If needed, microwave for an additional 15 seconds.
Mix up your treats:
Pour the almond extract AND pudding mix into the marshmallow mixture and stir well. Add a few drops of green food coloring and stir well. Add additional drops to get your preferred shade.
With a spatula, scrape the mixture over the cereal and nuts and stir until well combined.
Transfer to the baking pan and flatten gently. If desired, sprinkle pistachios on the top and gently press into the treats.
Let the treats cool and set 1 to 2 hours before cutting into squares.
- Try melting dark chocolate and drizzling over the finished treats.
- For more intense pistachio flavor, add the entire package of pistachio pudding.
- The food coloring is optional.
These Pistachio Pudding Rice Krispie treats will taste the best the day they are made but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
To keep them longer, you can freeze them in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to 3 months.
Pistachio Rice Krispie Treats
- non-stick cooking spray
- non-stick foil
- very large mixing bowl
- microwave-safe bowl OR saucepan
- green food coloring (Americolor Soft Gel Paste in Leaf Green recommended)
- 9-inch or 8-inch square baking pan
- 4 ⅔ cup Rice Krispies cereal
- 4 tablespoons salted, European-style butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular OR 6 cups mini)
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped, shelled pistachios (reserve a tablespoon or two for topping)
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- ½ package pistachio instant pudding mix (1.7 ounces)
- Grease a large bowl and add the cereal. Mix in the pistachios.
- To make in the microwave, place the marshmallows and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute and let sit for a couple minutes.
- Stir very well until smooth.
- To make on the stove-top, start to melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir well.
- After 75% of the marshmallows have melted, remove from heat and stir well to completely melt the marshmallows. The mixture should be smooth.
- Add ½ of the package of pistachio instant pudding mix (1.7 ounces) and stir well.
- Stir in the almond extract.
- Use a spatula to scrape the mixture over the cereal. Stir well until evenly coated.
- Transfer to an 8-inch or 9-inch baking pan that is lined with non-stick foil (or is well greased). Flatten gently and evenly.
- If desired, sprinkle some coarsely -chopped pistachios on top and gently press into the treats.
- Let rest for 1 to 2 hours and cut into squares.
- For more intense flavor, add additional pudding mix.
- Try drizzling dark chocolate over the finished treats.
- Store in an air-tight container up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.