Rich chocolate Rice Krispie Treats filled with nuts and marshmallows are an easy, delicious no-bake dessert.
Rocky Road Rice Krispie Treats
These Rocky Road Rice Krispie Treats are amazing!
Does Rocky Road have marshmallows? YES.
Does Rocky Road have nuts? YES.
Is Rocky Road chocolate? YES.
Rich and chocolate-y and filled with just the right crunch of nuts and sweetness of marshmallows.
Here, I start with our popular chocolate Rice Krispie Treat recipe and mix in marshmallows and pecans.
If pecans aren't your thing, try other nuts, such as almonds, walnuts or peanuts.
more Rocky Road recipes
Check out these delicious recipes too:
delicious Rice Krispie Treats
And here are some more treats you might like.
how to make Rocky Road Rice Krispie Treat Squares
You will need these ingredients:
RICE KRISPIES -- We use the classic Kellogg's brand Rice Krispies cereal.
MARSHMALLOWS -- Our cereal treats use 10 ounces of marshmallows. This is about 40 regular size OR 6 cups of mini. However, different brands of marshmallows have different weights and densities. You'll need an additional 2 cups of mini marshmallows to mix in.
Check out our marshmallow conversion chart to make sure you're using the correct amount.
Kraft's Jet-Puffed are used here.
BUTTER -- We recommend using European-style, SALTED butter for best results. You'll need 4 tablespoons. Read more about our taste test and why this butter is better HERE.
SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS-- Melt the chocolate with the marshmallows and butter.
UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER -- The cocoa powder adds a richness to the treats.
NUTS -- For the "Rocky" part, you can used chopped almonds, walnuts, pecans, or peanuts. (Pecans used here.)
Equipment you'll need:
BAKING PAN -- I prefer to make my batches of treats in an 8 x 8 inch square pan so they are extra thick, but a 9-inch square pan also works well. (Read on for instructions to make a large batch in a 9 x 13 inch pan.)
COOKING SPRAY -- To make life easy, I use non-stick spray on my bowls and spatulas. I suggest a canola oil to minimize interfering in the taste.
NONSTICK FOIL -- You may also grease your baking pan with cooking spray, but I find the best option is to line your baking pan with non-stick foil. Lightly greased foil or parchment paper also works well.
how to make Rocky Road no-bake treats
step one: Melt the butter, marshmallows, and chocolate
In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder and heat until almost melted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir until the mixture is smooth.
step two: Mix the cereal
In a large, greased bowl, place the cereal. Poor the chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir with a greased spatula very well.
Stir in mini marshmallows and chopped nuts.
step three: Let it cool
Transfer to a square baking pan lined with non-stick foil and gently press evenly.
If desired, sprinkle a few more marshmallows and nuts on top.
Let it cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares.
How do I store my treats?
Store in an air-tight container up to a week.
Rocky Road Rice Krispie Treats
- non-stick spray
- 8 or 9 inch square baking pan
- non-stick foil (May also grease pan or grease regular foil)
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 4 tablespoons European-style SALTED butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular or 6 cups mini)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, or peanuts) (plus additional, optional)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows (plus additional, optional)
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray and add the cereal.
- Line a square baking pan with non-stick foil. OR, grease the baking pan or grease regular foil.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat.
- Add the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and the 10 ounces of marshmallows, stirring frequently until almost all melted.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir until the marshmallows and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour over the cereal and combine well.
- Stir in the mini marshmallows and nuts.
- Transfer to the baking dish and press evenly.
- If desired, sprinkle a few mini marshmallows and extra nuts on top.
- Let cool for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares.