Brown butter Rice Krispie treats are just as easy to make as the classic Rice Krispie Treat recipe, but browning the butter first adds just a hint of nutty, rich flavor.
brown butter Rice Krispie Treats
Three-ingredient brown butter Rice Krispie Treats are a game changer. Using brown butter in place of regular butter in this easy recipe adds a touch of complexity to a simple dessert.
When you're asked "What is in these Rice Krispie Treats to make them so good?" impress with your answer, "brown butter."
Below, I'll share how to make a batch of treats in an 8-inch square pan, but I'll also give you the ingredients for a larger, 9 x 13-inch pan. I'll also share exactly how many marshmallows you need to end confusion. Be sure to check out our BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe for the best basics.
how to make brown butter Rice Krispie Treats
You'll only need three ingredients! Cocoa Krispies cereal, marshmallows (either mini or regular), and butter!
supplies you'll need
- 8-inch square baking pan
- non-stick cooking spray
- non-stick foil
ingredients you'll need
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 4 tablespoons salted European butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular or 6 cups mini)
let's make cereal treats!
I recommend spraying your bowls and spatulas with cooking spray.
First, spray your baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter or line with non-stick foil. You may also use lightly-sprayed regular foil. (Instructions for Rice Krispie treats in a 9 x 13-inch pan are below.)
Add the Rice Krispies to a large, greased bowl and set aside.
Brown the 4 tablespoons of the butter in a light-colored saucepan. See the instructions below!
Add the marshmallows, reduce heat to medium-low, stirring, and remove from heat when marshmallows are almost melted. Stir until the mixture is very smooth, using the residual heat to fully melt the marshmallows.
Scrape the marshmallow and butter mixture into the cereal and use a spatula to fold the mixture into the cereal until it's completely blended.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Use a clean spatula to gently press the treats evenly into the baking dish.
Let the dish cool very well and cut into two-inch squares.
how do you make brown butter?
You can use "brown butter" as a substitute for butter in a recipe, either savory or sweet, to add a rich, nutty flavor to the dish. And it's so easy to make!
Just melt butter over heat until it browns. (You can also find these instructions at our other site, when making brown butter pecan fudge.)
Place your butter in a saucepan with a light-colored bottom, so you can easily note the color of the butter. For this Rice Krispie treat recipe, you'll need 4 tablespoons of salted butter (or 6 tablespoons for a larger batch).
Set over medium heat. Swirl the pan or use a spatula to occasionally stir the butter. The butter will foam and then darken to a deep brown. This may only take about five minutes, so keep your eye on the saucepan. You will see sediment from the milk solids sink to the bottom of the pan.
how to I make a larger batch of brown butter cereal treats?
To make a larger batch of these cereal treats, grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Use a combination of
- 16 ounces marshmallows
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Cut into 28 squares.
how many marshmallows do I use to make Rice Krispie Treats?
You may use either regular-size marshmallows or mini marshmallows. Bags of marshmallows come in 10 ounces, 12 ounces, and 16 ounces, so it's useful to have these measurements to make any size batch you like with what you have on hand. I prefer to use a kitchen scale, but if you don't own one, here is what we've found (but use the weight on the bag as a guide):
If using regular-size marshmallows
- 16 ounces is about 68 regular-size marshmallows
- 10 ounces is about 40 marshmallows
If using mini marshmallows
- 16 ounces is just over 9 cups of mini marshmallows
- 10 ounces is 6 cups of mini marshmallows
TIP: The above measurements are based on using "Jet-Puffed" brand marshmallows. Different brands have slightly different weights, so this is just a general guide.
- 7-8 marshmallows = 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- There are approximately 40-48 marshmallows in a 10 ounce bag and 64-70 in a 16 ounce bag.
check out this video how to make brown butter cereal bars
printable brown butter Rice Krispie Treats
brown butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 marshmallows or 6 cups mini)
- 4 ⅔ cup Rice Krispies cereal
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- Place the butter in a light-colored saucepan over medium heat. Heat the butter, swirling the pan and occasionally stirring with a spatula. The butter will foam, turn a caramel color, and then turn a dark brown color. Watch so the butter does not burn.
- Add the marshmallows to the saucepan and turn the heat to medium low. Heat until the marshmallows melt and the mixture is smooth, frequently stirring.
- Have the Rice Krispies ready in a large bowl. Pour the marshmallow and butter mixture over the cereal. Fold together with a spatula and transfer to the baking dish.
- Use a clean spatula to press the treats evenly in the pan. Let cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Cut into 2-inch squares.
This post was originally posted in June 2019 and updated in January 2021.
If you love cereal bars and crispy treats, check out these:
What a great idea. I love the flavor of brown butter and it really enhances the flavor of the rice krispie treat.