A childhood favorite turned into a cereal treat! These nostalgic peanut butter and jelly Rice Krispie Treats are perfect for the lunch box.
peanut butter and jelly Rice Krispie Treats
What do you get when you take our popular peanut butter rice crispy treat recipe and combine it with sweet jam? Peanut butter and jelly Rice Krispie Treats for the win!
These salty sweet, ooey-gooey treats are no-bake, easy to make, and delicious!
Start with our BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe, add in some creamy peanut butter (and slightly adjust the proportions for perfection), and sandwich with your favorite jam.
more Rice Krispie Treats you'll love
You'll only need five ingredients to make the BEST cereal treats with peanut butter and jelly.
Here, I use smooth Skippy brand peanut butter. You may use a natural peanut butter, but be sure to mix the oil and peanut butter very, very well.
You may also use other nut butters, although the texture may differ.
My preferred marshmallows for making rice crispy treats are the Jet-Puffed brand (either regular size or mini).
You may use other brands, but keep in mind different brands have different weights. Check out our marshmallow conversion chart to be sure you're using the right amount.
After extensive taste-testing, we determined the BEST butter to use in Rice Krispie Treats is European-style salted butter.
You'll need Rice Krispies of course! We stick with the classic, Kellogg's. Other brands work well, too, although we find the Target brand to be too hard and crunchy.
JAM or JELLY
I used strawberry jam here. Use any of your favorite jams or jellies that would pair well with peanut butter.
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED
I recommend using non-stick cooking spray to grease bowls and spatulas.
You'll also need a large bowl and a medium-sized saucepan OR microwave safe bowl.
How to make PB & J Rice Krispie Treats
Place cereal in a greased bowl and set aside.
Grease your baking pan or line it with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
Begin to melt the butter and creamy peanut butter in a medium saucepan set over low heat.
Stir in the marshmallows.
Continue to stir frequently until about 75% of the marshmallows have melted.
Then remove from the heat and continue to stir, pressing down on the marshmallows, until they have all melted.
Combine the butter, peanut butter and marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl.
Heat in the microwave on high power for one minute.
Let the bowl sit in the microwave for about a minute before removing it from the microwave.
Stir, pressing down the marshmallows, until melted. If the marshmallows are not all melted after stirring for a while, you can heat them for additional 15-second increments, stirring after each, until melted.
Assembling your treats
Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir well until evenly coated.
Press ½ of the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Spread the jam over the treats and top with the remaining cereal treat mixture.
Let set very well, 1 to 2 hours before cutting into squares.
How to store cereal treats
- It's best to store your Rice Krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Your treats will taste best if eaten within a few days, but they will still taste great after a week.
Can they be frozen?
- Yes! Just be sure to wrap the treats really well in non-stick tin foil or wax paper before placing them in a freezer bag or airtight container.
- Then place them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
more peanut butter and jelly recipes
Do you love peanut butter? Here are some amazing recipes you might enjoy:
- Peanut butter fudge
- Chocolate peanut butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut butter and jelly Cookies
- Peanut butter and jelly cookie cups
peanut butter and jelly Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 8 or 9-inch square pan
- non-stick cooking spray
- parchment paper or non-stick foil
- 4 tablespoons European-style SALTED butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular or 6 cups mini)
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter (well stirred)
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup jam or jelly
- Line your baking pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper, or grease with butter or cooking spray..
- Place the cereal in a large, greased bowl.
- For the stove-top method, place the butter and peanut butter in a saucepan over low heat. Begin to melt. Add the marshmallows and melt about 75%, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir well until the marshmallows are fully melted and the mixture smooth.
- For the microwave method, place the butter, peanut butter, and marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute and let sit in the microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir very well until smooth. If needed, microwave for an additional 15 seconds.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal and stir well until evenly coated.
- Press half of the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Spread the jam over the treats.
- Top with the remaining cereal treats.
- Let set well, 1 to 2 hours, before cutting into squares.
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 16 ounces marshmallows
- 7 ½ cups rice crispy cereal
- 1 ½ cups jam