Popsicle Rice Krispie Treats are such a fun and easy summer treat!
Popsicle Rice Krispie Treats
Popsicle Rice Krispie Treats are cute as can be and perfect for summer. My official taste-tester (my 7 year old) confirms "they are AMAZING!"
Start with our perfect, never-fail Rice Krispie treat recipe, cut out popsicle shapes, and decorate with icing or frosting. Add a colorful straw and you're ready to celebrate the season!
how to make popsicle cereal treats
I decorate the cereal treats with royal icing, but you can easily substitute your favorite frosting, or even store-bought frosting.
first, let's make Rice Krispie Treats
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray or rub with butter or Crisco. Add 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or wax paper and set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place 4 tablespoons of salted butter and 10 ounces of marshmallows. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir, and microwave for at additional 30 second intervals, if needed. Stir until very smooth.
- Be sure to keep your eye on the marshmallows! They will puff up.
- 10 ounces of marshmallows equals 6 cups of mini marshmallows (usually 1 bag) OR about 40 regular marshmallows.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir gently until the mixture is very well combined.
- Transfer to the prepared baking tray. Grease a spatula with cooking spray (or Crisco or butter) and flatten into a rough rectangle. The treats should be about 12-inches by 15-inches and ½-inch thick.
- Let cool completely, about 2 hours. You may also chill more quickly in the refrigerator.
- When ready, use a rectangle cookie cutter (3-inches by 2-inches) to cut out shapes as closely as possible. You will have 12 to 14 treats. With your fingers, round the top two corners. TIP: if you do not have a rectangle cutter, use a knife to cut out your shapes.
- Cut a colorful paper straw in half and insert into the bottom of the treat.
Next, let's decorate!
- Now decorate! Prepare your icing or frosting. Shown here is my never-fail, awesome royal icing. The texture of your treats will be different whether you use royal icing or frosting, but they will be adorable no matter what!
- Divide your icing and tint any preferred colors with gel paste food coloring. I used pink, orange, blue, and green and white for the highlight.
- Assemble disposable decorating bags with size "4" decorating tips. Fill with each of the colors of icing and close tightly with a rubber band.
- Pipe a popsicle outline and fill with the icing. Let set and, if desired, pipe a white highlight. Let dry overnight.
supplies and ingredients to make Rice Krispie Treats
Here are the specific supplies and ingredients I used to make my emoji Rice Krispie Treats.
how do you make Rice Krispie Treats on the stove-top?
My popsicle cereal treats are microwaved, but you may of course also make the treats on the stove top. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and add the marshmallows. Continue to melt over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is very smooth.
Pour the mixture over the Rice Krispies cereal in the bowl and follow the rest of the Rice Krispie Treat instructions.
printable cereal treat recipe
popsicle rice krispie treats
- cooking spray
- baking tray
- wax or parchment paper
- 3-inch by 4-inch rectangle cookie cutter
- gel paste food coloring (blue, orange, pink, green, and white)
- disposable decorating bags
- size 4 decorating tips
- colorful paper party straws
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 ounces marshmallows about 40 regular OR 6 cups mini
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 batch frosting or royal icing
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and add the cereal. Set aside.
- Line a baking tray with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
- Grease a large, microwave-safe bowl. Add the marshmallows and butter, sliced. Microwave for 1 minute. Let sit in the warm microwave for a minute or two. Stir very well until the mixture is smooth. (If needed, add additional 15 second intervals in the microwave.)
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and gently stir until well combined.
- Turn the treats out onto the baking tray. Use a greased spatula to press the treats into a rough rectangle, about 12-inches by 15-inches by ½ inch thick. Let set for 2 hours, or chill to set more quickly.
- Use the rectangle cookie cutter to cut out treats as closely as possible. You should have 12 to 14 treats. With your fingers, flatten the top two corners to make a popsicle shape.
- Cut a paper straw and gently insert into the treat at the bottom.
- Prepare your icing or frosting, divide, and tint your preferred colors, including white for a highlight.
- Assemble the decorating bags and tips, fill with your icing, and close tightly with rubber bands.
- Outline the popsicle shape and then pipe back and forth to fill with icing or frosting.
- Add a white highlight to each popsicle. Let the treats set very well, preferably overnight.
more fun popsicle ideas
- Mini popsicle cookies are adorable.
- Make popsicles from cake!
- Try a huge popsicle cake.
you might also like...
watermelon Rice Krispie Treats
These are the cutest summertime treats! I love all the colors you used to decorate them.
My daughter and I just finished making a batch of these popsicle rice krispie treat. They didn't turn out quite as professional looking as yours, but they are super cute. My daughter is so proud! Oh, and they taste great too.