It's super easy to turn Rice Krispie Treats into any color! Use orange Rice Krispie Treats for Halloween, fall, team colors, or themed parties.
orange Rice Krispie Treats
We love sharing different colors cereal treats, and these orange Rice Krispie Treats are perfect for fall. Simply add gel paste food coloring to our BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
You can also make pumpkins for fall or Jack O' Lanterns for Halloween.
more treats you'll love
orange food coloring
For the best, most vibrant color, I recommend using gel paste food coloring instead of liquid food coloring, as it is more concentrated. You need a good bit of food coloring for an orange that isn't too "peachy," and liquid food coloring can ruin the texture of your treats.
When it comes to gel paste, you may use any brand from the craft store or even the supermarket, however, note that the taste may be a bit bitter.
I highly recommend Americolor Soft Gel Paste in Orange (or any if their oranges) available online and in some specialty stores.
Supplies and Ingredients you'll need
In addition to the food coloring, to make cereal treats, you'll need Rice Krispies cereal, marshmallows, and butter. That's it!
To make a smaller batch of treats, you'll need:
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies (Kellogg's brand preferred)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter (European style preferred)
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular-sized OR 6 cups mini)
To make a larger batch of treats, you'll need:
- 7 cups Rice Krispies
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounces marshmallows (about 68 regular-sized OR 9 cups mini)
We recommend Jet-Puffed marshmallows, as different brands have different textures and weights. Check out our marshmallow conversion chart for perfect treats.
As mentioned above, you'll need orange food coloring.
I also recommend spraying bowls and spatulas with non-stick spray to deal with the stickiness.
Add the Rice Krispies to a greased, large bowl (use cooking spray or butter).
Line your baking pan with non-stick foil or lightly-greased parchment or foil. Set aside.
To make Rice Krispie Treats on the stove-top:
Start to melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and heat, stirring frequently, until almost all of the marshmallows have melted.
Remove from the heat and stir well until very smooth.
To make Rice Krispie Treats in the microwave:
Place the marshmallows and butter in a greased, microwave-safe bowl.
Heat for 1 minute and let sit for a couple minutes. Stir very well until smooth and melted. If needed, microwave for an additional 15 seconds.
mix up your treats:
Add a few drops of orange food coloring and stir well. Add additional drops to get your preferred shade. Stir very well.
With a greased spatula, scrape the mixture over the cereal and stir until well combined.
Transfer to the prepared baking pan and gently press evenly.
Let sit for 2 hours before cutting into squares.
Fun party ideas for Rice Krispie Treats
So what do you do with your red Rice Crispy Treats? Feel free to make any size treats, just add more red food coloring as needed. Here are some tips:
- How to make sheet pan Rice Krispie Treats
- How to cut out Rice Krispie Treats with cookie cutters
- Find ideas in this roundup of 40 Rice Krispie Treat variations.
orange Rice Krispie Treats
- non-stick cooking spray
- 8 or 9 inch square baking pan (see notes for 9 x 13 inch baking pan)
- orange food coloring (Americolor Soft Gel Paste recommended)
- parchment paper or non-stick foil
- 4 ⅔ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 4 tablespoons salted European-style butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows (about 40 regular or 6 cups mini)
- Line your baking pan with foil or parchment and set aside. TIP: Spray your bowls and spatulas with non-stick spray.
- Place the cereal in a large, greased bowl.
- Place the marshmallows and butter, cut in pieces, in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for one minute and stir vigorously until melted and smooth. If needed, microwave in 15 second increments.
- Squeeze food coloring into the mixture and stir well. Add additional food coloring until desire shade is achieved.
- Fold the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and blend very well.
- Transfer to the baking pan and let rest until well set, at least 2 hours. Cut into squares and decorate or enjoy.