The BEST butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats! With the classic flavor of the candy from grandmom’s purse, but as an infinitely better easy, no-bake dessert. Scroll to the end for a video and printable recipe.
butterscotch Rice Crispy Treats
I have to say, I’m not even a huge butterscotch fan, although I love all things retro, but these butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats have converted me. It must be the cereal, marshmallows, and butter with the butterscotch morsels, perfectly combined, because these are crazy delicious.
how to make butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray or rub with softened butter or shortening (like Crisco). Add 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal. Also grease an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of salted butter on medium-low heat. Remove from the heat as soon as the butter melts.
- Add 1 cup of butterscotch morsels and 10 ounces of marshmallows. Return to the stove-top over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until melted and very smooth.
- 10 ounces of marshmallows equals 6 cups of mini marshmallows OR about 40 regular marshmallows
- TIP: Remove the pan from the heat just the before the marshmallows are fully melted and stir, using the residual heat to completely melt the marshmallows. This will prevent you from scorching the mixture.
- Pour the butterscotch, butter, and marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir gently until the mixture is very well combined. Transfer to the prepared baking pan.
- Use a spatula to evenly press the cereal treats into the pan. Let cool completely, about 1 hour. You may also chill in the refrigerator more quickly. Cut into squares.
supplies and ingredients to make Rice Krispie Treats
Here are the specific supplies and ingredients I used to make my butterscotch cereal treats.
Watch this video to make butterscotch Rice Crispy Treats
printable butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats recipe
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 2/3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows 6 cups mini OR about 40 regular size
- 1 cup butterscotch morsels
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and a large bowl with cooking spray, softened butter, or shortening. Place the cereal in the large bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, place the butter. Melt over medium-low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and butterscotch morsels to the saucepan and heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture is melted and very smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal and gently stir until all of the cereal is coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and gently press the treats into the pan with the back off a spatula until the top is even.
- Cool for about an hour before cutting into squares.
more Rice Krispie Treats recipes